Animals: The Wonder of Life

rrwink
When you see a baby kitten romping around playing or cuddling with other kittens, you cannot help but smile. And that is just what my kittens did.

My family has a barn on our property, big, old, and an ugly mustard yellow. With a barn comes mice. And when there are five children in the house, three of them being under the age of twelve, of course the request will be made for kittens. This is exactly why we ended up getting not one, not two, and not three, but four baby kittens -- and they were born in our garage!

We got the mother cat from a lady who had two pregnant cats and did not want any more. We named the cat Simone. She was a pretty black and white cat, fairly small, and very feisty. She had been an outdoor stray cat that had been living at the lady's farm.

After about a week of keeping Simone in a cage in our garage, our mom woke us up and told us that there were four baby kittens in the cage! They had been born about an hour before my dad saw them and my mom alerted us of the news.

The kittens got lots of attention from their loving owners, and since there are four of us not including my brother, who is not old enough to have his own cat, we each got one of the kittens and named them. Mine was Mozart, a cute little black and white cat who resembled his mother more than the other three. My sisters' kittens were Katie, a calico, Socks, a calico with white feet, and Tangles, an all black and rather chunky little guy. They all had blue eyes when they were little, which I thought was an unusual color for cats' eyes.

It was not long before they were crawling around the cage, opening their eyes, and beginning to walk on their tiny, soft paws. Once they were old enough to be outside cats, we put them in the barn. As they continued to grow, they would come running whenever we went out to the barn to feed them. We spent lots of time holding them and playing with them in the grass. I remember one time our friends came over and the three little girls from that family were content to spend hours holding the warm, fuzzy little creatures.

I think that animals are great companions. I think that if people have the time and the means to take care of a pet, whether indoors or outdoors, or even if they just spend time around animals that do not belong to them that it can do a lot of good for that person. There is value in learning to love and care for animals.