Animals: Knockin' On Heaven's Door

blackhawksfan96
When my dog was lying on that surgery table, I thought I was going to lose him this time. The year before last, my dog was in another critical situation. But at least then, the doctors told us he would live for sure- he may have a 50/50 chance of walking ever again, but he'll live they said. The following year, my dog had another life or death situation. I can remember it all as if it were yesterday. My dog couldn't use the restroom properly for a couple of days and he wasn't acting like himself. My mom had an empty feeling in the pit of her stomach and said we should take him to an emergency vet. He was crying and whining in my arms while we were heading there, and I knew that something was wrong. It turns out we did the right thing taking him to emergency because his situation was critical. After we spent an hour at the vet's, we were told that my dog has a gallstone in his bladder and that he needed immediate surgery or we would lose him. We went with the surgery. Even then, we were told that there might be a chance that his gallbladder ruptured and infected his blood. I have never been more scared in my life than in those next long hours. I don't remember how much time had passed, but I do remember my mom getting the phone call that our dog was alright. I have lost a dog before, and I did not want to go through that again quite this soon. Just imagining waking up without seeing his adorable muzzle any more, constricted my airways and made it hard to breathe. If I have learned anything from both of those situations, specifically the last one, then it's to appreciate every waking moment I have with my pets because you never know how long they have on this earth.