Animals: More Like Family

haileyrobinson18
I remember coming home one afternoon, pulling into the garage, and seeing huge puddles of blood all over the floor. Yes, it was as horrifying as it sounds. My mom, sisters, and I had no idea what was going on. My mom soon found our dog, Luke, laying on the steps. He was heavily bleeding and panting hard. From the look of it, he was attacked by some type of animal. My sisters and I were frantically crying as my mom tried to contact my dad and the vet. My dad soon rushed home (followed by my uncle) to get Luke to the vet. They both wrapped up Luke’s wounds to the best of their ability and gently lifted him into the truck.
For the rest of that afternoon, all I could do was worry, cry, and hope he would make it home okay. Thankfully, the vet called us the next day to tell us that Luke was doing okay. She said that the bleeding had finally stopped and that she was able to stitch up the wounds. We all smiled in relief. He did, however, have to stay at the vet’s office for a couple of days to recover.
When my dad brought him home from the vet, he didn’t start jumping on us like he usually does (for obvious reasons), but he did show that he was happy to see us with a small tail wag. My sisters and I ran up to pet him and give him a warm welcome home.
It was in that moment of joy that I was struck with a sudden realization. I realized how much I truly care for my pets and how much they mean to me. I don’t think people realize how much a pet means until something terrible happens. Things like this make me realize how lucky and happy I am to have a pet in my life. My pets are a part of my family and they mean everything to me.