I'm Thankful for my Mother

carolynkodis
By: Carolyn Kodis

This Thanksgiving, when I sit in my wooden chair with the rest of my family, and we start talking about what we are thankful for-- I am going to shock everyone. "Carolyn, what are you thankful for?" my mother will ask. All eyes and ears will turn towards me. "You," I'll say with a smile on my face.

Let's be blunt. When someone is so present in our lives, and when someone is always there keeping an eye on us and backing us up; it is easy to take that person for granted. I do not give my mother enough credit and I just now realized how big of an impact that she has on me.

People always used to tell me how much I was like my mother and all I could think about was how different we were. But now I see what they were talking about. People usually are exactly like their parents or a complete one-eighty of their parents, and I am so thankful that I can be compared to my mom. And yet, I have so much to live up to when I measure up. My mother's job is not only a preschool teacher-- it is also to make sure that brothers and I are as successful as we can be and that we can accomplish our goals. I think all mothers try to do that for their children.

I am so blessed to have my mother there for me. She is my bridge over troubled water. Although she has taught me how to be my own person and to be independent: I could not be who I am today without her. And I am so grateful for her.

I wish everyone would be as thankful of their mothers as I am of mine. So many people my age do not appreciate their mothers and all they have done for them. So instead of just thanking for everything only on Thanksgiving-- be thankful everyday-- and be sure to thank your mother because she probably has given you the majority of what you are thankful for.