Animals: Love isn't Mutual

meghan4
I sat twisted in the car seat, staring at a large, majorly black eye. Just one eye, the other one was probably staring at my little sister. The radio played quietly, lowered so that the people in our car could talk comfortably without having to shout over the music.
“Meghan, look, she likes you!” My little sister, Keira, exclaimed, her face curled into a wide, toothy smile.
“I’d prefer a snake. I don’t like rabbits. She’ll probably bite me as soon as we get home.” I feigned my annoyance. I didn’t actually mind the rabbit too much, especially since I wasn’t the one taking care of it.
“I draw the line at a snake. Maybe a bird, but that’s it,” Dad chimed, “Plus, you’d have to feed the snake live mice.” He turned the blinker on and merged onto the bridge, heading home.
“Ew, I don’t want to feed it live mice. That’s nasty,” I laughed, turning to face forward in the passenger’s seat, “Just keep Harry away from me - She’s giving me the death eye.”

Even a few days later, when we moved her outside into her new home, she still didn’t like me too much.
“C’mon, Harry,” I cooed, bending over the fence and trying to undo the lock on the cage, “Stop yanking on the bars, I’m trying to help you.” I pulled the door open, and reached down with my free hand to rub her head.
I turned to grab the salad that would be her breakfast, and looked back to see Harry cleaning herself where I just pet her.
“I am offended, and will never feed you again.” I said in a sarcastic voice, before turning and leaving in a huff.

“Why won’t you let me love you?” I cried, reaching out to where Harry hid underneath a stool. I held a carrot out in one hand as an offering, and she merely reached out and pulled the carrot from my fingers.
“She doesn’t like you,” My sister called from the other side of the fence, at the neighbor’s house.
“I’ve noticed,” I called back, standing up and brushing hay and dirt from my pants, “Whatever, soon I’ll be in college, then I can have my dog or snake in peace.”