Animals: The Fin-less Shark Incident

Scales
In the past years, sharks were trapped and had their fins cut off to make the Asian dish, Shark Fin Soup. I speak from personal experience. I witnessed a live shark capture and watched in horror; seeing the shark had it's fins cut off and put back into the sea. I named the hammerhead shark Kenny, the one who I witnessed suffer.

This all happened when I was 7 years old. I lived in Asia where shark hunting was legal. I hated the law that allowed it. I loved sharks so it hurt me to live in a place where it is popular. My family lived under my dad’s friend. It all happened at this moment.

I was on a fishing trip with my dad's friend. Little did I know, it was not an ordinary fishing trip. He used a net to catch a lot of fishes. It not only caught fish but a large hammerhead shark. I always loved sharks. I was amazed by seeing the majestic creature. But when he dropped the fishes into the basket, he put the shark on the boat.

He let me pet the shark. It was the best moment of my life. I got to pet my favorite animal. I was living in the moment.

The moment didn't last long as my dad’s friend took out his hunting knife and began to cut the shark. I tried to stop him but he was much greater than I. He did the most toughest cuts on Kenny. Kenny tried to put up a fight, but it was no use. This wasn't his territory.

I was terrified when I couldn't do anything. Once he took the freshly cut and bloody fins, he threw Kenny into the ocean again. I could see Kenny's blood rise. I knew that if sharks don't have fins then they will can’t swim.

I screamed at him, but he made me raise the anchor to go back home. I knew that I couldn't do anything so I just did what me told me to do. I felt sad and bitter.

When we got back, I told my dad the gruesome story. I knew my dad was on good terms with his friend, but I just couldn't stand what he had done to Kenny. My dad told me that he would take care of it.

My father then fought his friend. We got kicked out from our house. My dad took us and left Asia and moved to America. I still remember the fishing trip like it was yesterday. To this day my family and I made donations to try and help stop shark hunting with the little donations we have.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Pet / Animal story being chosen as 1 of the 10 essays in the running for 1st place for our April 2015 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment. We had over 100 essays submitted for April’s contest.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by May 31st. You can check this page for the results after May 31st:

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Posted: Friday, May 8, 2015 6:49:01 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your April 2015 Animal / Pet Story being tied for 3rd place.

Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 7:43:46 PM

We wanted to let you know that our April 2015 Pet Stories Teen Trend Report is complete. In the report, we have compiled the statistics from our teen survey and come up with themes based on the submitted essays.

If you would like to view the teen trend report, here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandPets.aspx

Thanks again for sharing your story with the world!

- Rebecca
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:44:14 PM