Animal: He doesn't get it

Jolene
As I sit on my bed, on my laptop, my cat is on the other side of the room on the carpet sleeping. His name is Mustachio and he is a tuxedo cat with a lopsided back mustache on his white nose and chin. He is on his back with his soft white underbelly exposed and his little paws up in the air above his head, like he wants to give you a double-low five or is saying “touchdown!”. He sleeps mostly in the daytime in the warm sun of the window while we are at school and work, and we play with him when we get home; but when we slow down for the night and fall asleep, he doesn’t get that we are done playing with him, and starts playing by himself.

One time, I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the restroom, and found a nice little scene in there. No he didn’t go to the bathroom in there, but I found dirty little paw prints on the counter, walking back and forth, and on the toilet seat. He is not afraid of water and it was clear that he was splashing the water in the toilet and got his paws wet. We now keep the bathroom door closed at night.

The fact that he wants to play means that he wants to play with us, so waking up in the middle of the night with the cat meowing for attention in my brothers’ room makes all of us annoyed. We at least keep the door closed in my brother’s room so he doesn’t wander in there, and of course, I am the mommy and have to deal with him climbing on my bed while I am asleep and wanting to play. I have trained him to not get on my bed until I want him to.

Hearing little thumps on the window, my dad got up to investigate, thinking it might be a robber. He found the Mustachio hitting the window with his paws in attempt to get the bugs either on this side or the other side. Of course he looking at my dad with those big innocent eyes, being his slightly hyper self. We put him back in my room for the night.

Waking up another morning, my mom found the paper towel roll in the kitchen shredded it into bits. We now keep the paper towels in the drawer.

I wake up another night with him chasing the little plastic ball with a bell inside around my room like a manic. I hid it.

Now because he has been clearly not settling down when we want to him to, we run him around with the string before bed until he has no energy to run more. It has been working, but we still find him doing stuff in the house at night.

Conclusion, no matter how hard I try, my cat is a night owl. I am not.