STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Animals: Got Trapped by Memories

Sun_nuS
Animals are friends of mankind. I always remember this statement. They are distinct from humans but also accompanying with them. However, when I was young, some sad memories about pets had stuck in my mind for so long. It once hindered me from the desire of petting animals.
“Rabbits are the cutest animal around the world!” I said to my mom with two big innocent eyes at a pet store, hoping her to buy a couple home to pet.
“Are you sure you can take care of them? If you promise, I will.” Failing to bear my constant begging, she finally made a compromise.
“Yes, mom! I love you so much!” The smile was hidden no where on my face. I bought two rabbits home.
They looked gorgeous. Their fur was white as snow and eyes were dazzling as rubies. I, as a seven-year-old girl, did everything I could to make them as comfortable as possible. I used a shoebox as their tiny, cozy hut. I fed them with fresh lettuce bought from the stores on the same day. I took them out for a hike on a hill behind my apartment during the weekends. I fondled them in my arms all the time. In my mind, they were as if living in the Garden of Eden.
However, the paradise-like life came to an end. It happened on a regular Saturday afternoon. I could still clearly recall every detail about the incident as if it happened yesterday. Rabbits jumped on the balcony when I played with them. The balcony was only a little space which was surrounded by two marble walls and rails on the other side. Because of lack of control of the speed, one of the rabbits failed to stop in front of the rails.
“No!!!!” I yelled out. The gap between each rail was big enough for a rabbit to go through. My heartbeats were so fast that my head was almost exploded by the loudness of the beats.
I stared at the rabbit, rushing towards it without any hesitation. Feeling I stepped on something unusually soft, I managed to avoid the suicidal action of the rabbit. “Phew…” I finally relieved and turned around, checking what I stamped on accidentally.
The scene then I saw completely broken my entire heart. It was the other rabbit whose whole body was convulsing. Blood had been flowing continuously and formed a small, crimson pond. Its eyes were still ruby but had no longer been shining. The pain and terror shown in its eyes were like millions of swords stabbing sharply into my heart. (By now, I still clearly remember the desperation inside its eyes.) I was petrified, trembling unconsciously.
“Waaaaaaaaaaaa…” I burst out tears. “Mom!!!!!!!”
The result was, without a doubt, the death of the rabbit. I turned my back at my mom when she dealt with its body. Immense guilt grasped my heart and I could hardly breathe.
Then, I never had a pet.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy