Animals: Got Trapped by Memories

Sun_nuS
Animals are friends of mankind. I always remember this statement. They are distinct from humans but also accompanying with them. However, when I was young, some sad memories about pets had stuck in my mind for so long. It once hindered me from the desire of petting animals.
“Rabbits are the cutest animal around the world!” I said to my mom with two big innocent eyes at a pet store, hoping her to buy a couple home to pet.
“Are you sure you can take care of them? If you promise, I will.” Failing to bear my constant begging, she finally made a compromise.
“Yes, mom! I love you so much!” The smile was hidden no where on my face. I bought two rabbits home.
They looked gorgeous. Their fur was white as snow and eyes were dazzling as rubies. I, as a seven-year-old girl, did everything I could to make them as comfortable as possible. I used a shoebox as their tiny, cozy hut. I fed them with fresh lettuce bought from the stores on the same day. I took them out for a hike on a hill behind my apartment during the weekends. I fondled them in my arms all the time. In my mind, they were as if living in the Garden of Eden.
However, the paradise-like life came to an end. It happened on a regular Saturday afternoon. I could still clearly recall every detail about the incident as if it happened yesterday. Rabbits jumped on the balcony when I played with them. The balcony was only a little space which was surrounded by two marble walls and rails on the other side. Because of lack of control of the speed, one of the rabbits failed to stop in front of the rails.
“No!!!!” I yelled out. The gap between each rail was big enough for a rabbit to go through. My heartbeats were so fast that my head was almost exploded by the loudness of the beats.
I stared at the rabbit, rushing towards it without any hesitation. Feeling I stepped on something unusually soft, I managed to avoid the suicidal action of the rabbit. “Phew…” I finally relieved and turned around, checking what I stamped on accidentally.
The scene then I saw completely broken my entire heart. It was the other rabbit whose whole body was convulsing. Blood had been flowing continuously and formed a small, crimson pond. Its eyes were still ruby but had no longer been shining. The pain and terror shown in its eyes were like millions of swords stabbing sharply into my heart. (By now, I still clearly remember the desperation inside its eyes.) I was petrified, trembling unconsciously.
“Waaaaaaaaaaaa…” I burst out tears. “Mom!!!!!!!”
The result was, without a doubt, the death of the rabbit. I turned my back at my mom when she dealt with its body. Immense guilt grasped my heart and I could hardly breathe.
Then, I never had a pet.