STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Animals: End the Stereotypes

jgao068
Have you ever heard anyone use any of the following phrases?
"You're so chicken!" "What a batty old woman." "You are such a pig!" "I feel like a whale." Chances are, you probably have, and you may even use some of these yourself.
However, the issue with these phrases is that they are completely inaccurate, for they do not describe the animals with justice at all, and they lead to false stereotypes and beliefs. For instance, anyone who believes that chickens are "cowards" has most likely never encountered a livid rooster. Rather than fleeing from danger, I have watched altruistic lead chickens standing against animals larger than themselves, such as foxes, coyotes, and bobcats, to protect their flocks-these courageous creatures are willing to sacrifice themselves for the betterment of others. Shouldn't we, as more "complex" beings, respect their good example rather than lightheartedly insult them?
Another common misconception which further saddens me is the belief that pigs are filthy, gluttonous creatures, while, in reality, they are clean, affectionate, and intelligent; they actually do not need as much food as they are typically given.
Even calling a person a "whale" denotes that he or she is overweight, but recent studies have proven that blue whales' blubber makes up as little as 20 percent of their entire body weight! On a human, that would be considered healthy, even superb.
What is more, I sometimes overhear my own mother calling someone a "dog." It is a horrible offense because not only is she indicating that dogs are lowly, bad-mannered creatures, but she is also saying it despite the fact that we own a wonderful and loyal German Shepherd.
The list of these erroneous phrases seems to persist infinitely - snakes want trouble, wolves are evil and aggressive, weasels are sneaky and untrustworthy, donkeys are stupid, etc. Saying these phrases imply ignorance on our behalf and provide others with an unconstructive message about animals. People need to respect animals just as much as they respect one another. Only then will we pause and actually remember that we would not be here if were not for animals. Would we still cut down forests and hunt endangered creatures if we truly love and value them?
What we need to change is our views, our mindsets. To end the animal stereotypes, we need to change our own thoughts, and where better to begin than to stop using animals as insults?

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy