Animals: End the Stereotypes

jgao068
Have you ever heard anyone use any of the following phrases?
"You're so chicken!" "What a batty old woman." "You are such a pig!" "I feel like a whale." Chances are, you probably have, and you may even use some of these yourself.
However, the issue with these phrases is that they are completely inaccurate, for they do not describe the animals with justice at all, and they lead to false stereotypes and beliefs. For instance, anyone who believes that chickens are "cowards" has most likely never encountered a livid rooster. Rather than fleeing from danger, I have watched altruistic lead chickens standing against animals larger than themselves, such as foxes, coyotes, and bobcats, to protect their flocks-these courageous creatures are willing to sacrifice themselves for the betterment of others. Shouldn't we, as more "complex" beings, respect their good example rather than lightheartedly insult them?
Another common misconception which further saddens me is the belief that pigs are filthy, gluttonous creatures, while, in reality, they are clean, affectionate, and intelligent; they actually do not need as much food as they are typically given.
Even calling a person a "whale" denotes that he or she is overweight, but recent studies have proven that blue whales' blubber makes up as little as 20 percent of their entire body weight! On a human, that would be considered healthy, even superb.
What is more, I sometimes overhear my own mother calling someone a "dog." It is a horrible offense because not only is she indicating that dogs are lowly, bad-mannered creatures, but she is also saying it despite the fact that we own a wonderful and loyal German Shepherd.
The list of these erroneous phrases seems to persist infinitely - snakes want trouble, wolves are evil and aggressive, weasels are sneaky and untrustworthy, donkeys are stupid, etc. Saying these phrases imply ignorance on our behalf and provide others with an unconstructive message about animals. People need to respect animals just as much as they respect one another. Only then will we pause and actually remember that we would not be here if were not for animals. Would we still cut down forests and hunt endangered creatures if we truly love and value them?
What we need to change is our views, our mindsets. To end the animal stereotypes, we need to change our own thoughts, and where better to begin than to stop using animals as insults?