Animals: Bear's Cancer

pennyproblem
A black ball of fur hurtles across the yard at lightning speed. Bear was his name, I wasn't even born when my family adopted him. He was a loyal black lab, and in the time he needed me the most I failed him. I was six when Bear was diagnosed with cancer, I don't think I really understood at the time what that meant.
At first the changes were subtle, Bear wouldn't run as fast or eat as much; but as time went on even I began to notice. Bear stopped chasing balls and sitting by the table for scraps, he was a ghost of the dog I knew before. I remember asking my mom if he was going to die, she never did answer; I guess it was too painful for her to think about. Bear was much more than a dog, he was part of the family; and that's why it hurt so much to watch him slowly deteriorate.
About a year later, the day came when my parents decided it was time. It was a silent, tearful ride to the vet as we all reminisced. I think even Bear knew, he sat next to me trying to comfort me. Quite ironic, even on his deathbed he was thinking of others, but that's the kind of dog he was which made what I did even worse. The car came to an abrupt stop at the place that would see Bears last moments.
My mom led Bear into the vet with my Dad and I following. The veterinarian showed us to a room right away and said she'd give us a moment to say goodbye. As soon as the veterinarian closed the door, my mom started bawling. She clung to Bear as my dad pet his head. As I looked at the sight I was disgusted at the sight. Bear's dandruff was evident as my dad stroked his black fur, and you could see the snot in his fur from my moms bawling session. In that moment I was a petty little 7 year old, I took a step back and shut my eyes to close out the scene before me. When Bear needed me the most, I shut him out, I didn't want to be part of the sob fest. I wanted the whole thing to be over, and in my haste I didn't even say goodbye to the dog I loved so dearly. Eight years later, I still feel guilty. I will never forget how I let Bear down.