Animals: Not Right Now

amy.junus
I’ve never owned a pet, and I don’t want one. Let me make things extremely clear. I do not hate animals. In fact, I genuinely enjoy being around animals, and I crave the relationship that an owner has with his pet. However, contrary to what may initially seem to be a logical solution to my cravings, I have intentionally chosen to not own a pet. The decision was not easy, but it was made with careful deliberation after Hachi.

During the summer of 2013, my parents’ old friend and his family went on a vacation halfway across the world to a city in Indonesia. As custom to their culture, they brought tons of snacks, clothes, toys, and gifts. Unfortunately their little, black and brown Yorkshire terrier did not end up making the multiple page packing list, and she needed a place to stay. After my family reached out to them and offered help, we suddenly found ourselves to be the short time owners of the princess Hachi.

I’d like to imagine that the amount of care that Hachi requires is not the same for all dogs. Although she was previously potty trained, she requires a lot of extra care. She has to be fed breakfast by six thirty in the morning, and her diet only consists of a specific dog food. She needs to be walked daily for her health. After her walks, we need to wash her paws. After she poops, we need to wipe her butt. After she eats, we need to brush her teeth.

Despite my hopes that taking care of Hachi is not an accurate representation of taking care of all pets, it is. There are many people who own pets for the love and companionship that they truthfully do provide. Hachi walked into my bedroom every morning to wake me up with her soft steps and what my mind thought was a smile. She seemed to be genuinely excited to see me at three or four or whatever time I managed to get home. I felt that same sense of companionship and love for the four weeks that she lived in my home. However, there are also many people who are not able to fully return the love and companionship that these pets deserve.

While I am physically capable of getting a pet, it would be entirely selfish of me to do so. As a high school senior, I most definitely do not have time to return the love and care that I would steal from a pet. If I barely have time to shower and eat, I cannot be sure that I have time to love and care for another living creature. In the future, I may be. I may learn to be more responsible. I hope to be more responsible and able to love and care for another beautiful creature. At that time, I will find my own Hachi, but not right now.