STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Animals: Not Right Now

amy.junus
I’ve never owned a pet, and I don’t want one. Let me make things extremely clear. I do not hate animals. In fact, I genuinely enjoy being around animals, and I crave the relationship that an owner has with his pet. However, contrary to what may initially seem to be a logical solution to my cravings, I have intentionally chosen to not own a pet. The decision was not easy, but it was made with careful deliberation after Hachi.

During the summer of 2013, my parents’ old friend and his family went on a vacation halfway across the world to a city in Indonesia. As custom to their culture, they brought tons of snacks, clothes, toys, and gifts. Unfortunately their little, black and brown Yorkshire terrier did not end up making the multiple page packing list, and she needed a place to stay. After my family reached out to them and offered help, we suddenly found ourselves to be the short time owners of the princess Hachi.

I’d like to imagine that the amount of care that Hachi requires is not the same for all dogs. Although she was previously potty trained, she requires a lot of extra care. She has to be fed breakfast by six thirty in the morning, and her diet only consists of a specific dog food. She needs to be walked daily for her health. After her walks, we need to wash her paws. After she poops, we need to wipe her butt. After she eats, we need to brush her teeth.

Despite my hopes that taking care of Hachi is not an accurate representation of taking care of all pets, it is. There are many people who own pets for the love and companionship that they truthfully do provide. Hachi walked into my bedroom every morning to wake me up with her soft steps and what my mind thought was a smile. She seemed to be genuinely excited to see me at three or four or whatever time I managed to get home. I felt that same sense of companionship and love for the four weeks that she lived in my home. However, there are also many people who are not able to fully return the love and companionship that these pets deserve.

While I am physically capable of getting a pet, it would be entirely selfish of me to do so. As a high school senior, I most definitely do not have time to return the love and care that I would steal from a pet. If I barely have time to shower and eat, I cannot be sure that I have time to love and care for another living creature. In the future, I may be. I may learn to be more responsible. I hope to be more responsible and able to love and care for another beautiful creature. At that time, I will find my own Hachi, but not right now.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy