Animals: My Older Brother was a Cat

Brina
Animals: My older brother was a cat. Shadow was in the family years before I was born, yet he was known as my cat. He wasn’t spectacular to look at. Shadow was found along with his mother and siblings in the wilderness. They took shelter beneath a boulder next to a flowing river. The only reason my mother noticed them was by their quite mewing. In the hole under the boulder three little kittens along with their mother were curled together. My mother began to fear for them since winter was fast approaching. So she took tiny feline family into her home. She named them Momma Cat, Mittens, Ginger and Shadow. The kittens were covered in tufts of black and white fur; unrecognizable from one another. My mother instantly fell in love with all of them and knew she had to protect them. She took care of them and helped raise the kittens along with Momma Cat. One kitten became particularly attached to my mother. Shadow would follow her from the minute she stepped out of bed till the second she was out the door. When my mother would come back from a long trip Shadow would be waiting at the door. When she would bend down to pet him he would smash his head on her forehead while purring. He was named Shadow since he was covered with the darkest fur with hidden white splotches on his stomach. When the time came for my mother to move it was obvious Shadow would be coming to. Shadow was like my older brother. Once I was born he was the most protective cat any baby would need. He guarded my crib at night at watched out for dangerous predators. He would bring me little presents like mice and birds to show off his hunting skill.

But my time has come to return the favor. As his fifteenth birthday passed its apparent he is no longer a tiny helpless kitten but an old man. He moves slowly know and rests in the sun. Spends his days lying in bed and occasionally moving to eat. He still greets his loved ones with a head butt. Momma Cat and Ginger had passed away already leaving behind an elderly Shadow and Mittens. It’s now my responsibility to care for him. He sleeps with me at night so that I may protect him. I give him his meals and treats. Although there are other animals living in the house he is all mine. No matter how old he is he will always be my family and my only pet.