I'm Thankful for My Two Heros

alwaysloveheidi
My parents mean the world to me. From the day I was born, they helped me through my hardships, raising me from a little girl who knew nothing to a teenager who became a valedictorian in middle school.

My parents both escaped from Vietnam due to the war, coming to America in hope of starting new lives. They started off with no money and just the clothes off their backs. They learned how valuable education was, and because of that, pushed my sister and myself to reach the highest standards. Even in elementary, they did not accept anything less than a straight-A report card. Every Saturday, I would wake up early to go to Chinese School, while my friends got to sleep in and watch Saturday morning cartoons. I never understood why they were so strict. Over the years, I have established disciplined study habits as a foundation that will support me throughout life and help me do great things in the future.

To balance my already-loaded academic life, they enrolled me for piano lessons at the age of five. Piano has become my passion and my escape from stress. It opened many doors for me, and allowed me to become an active member of my community. My sister and I have had the privilege to perform in San Gabriel Rotary International’s parties. By becoming a piano teacher I have realized how much time my parents have dedicated in driving me to piano lessons, but also how hard it actually is to earn money.

My mother experienced first-hand the horrors of living through poverty. As a child in Vietnam, she would dread dinnertime, for that was when she had to go door-to-door along her neighborhood, begging for food or money. Most of the time, she would end up with just a few coins, barely enough to feed the family. These memories haunt her to this day, and she has taught me to save money, and spend only when necessary. I did not get the privilege of shopping for new clothes like my friends did; but now I appreciate wearing hand-me-downs and having a piggy bank full of money to spend for college.

They have stood by me through the good times and bad, listened to me complain about unimportant things, but truthfully, I could not ask for a better life than what they have given me. From the small sacrifices like buying me a lollipop from Disneyland when I was a little girl, to taking the whole family to Las Vegas, I appreciate everything that they have done for me. I will follow my dreams, and make sure that my career meets their high standards. They deserve to be happy, and I hope to give them the life they have always dreamed of living. I love them, and always will. They are, in every way, my heroes. And I am thankful to be able to call them my mom and dad.