The Annual Anxiety that is Thanksgiving

kendro4
Every year it’s the same dull cycle. Get the bird, get the family together, cook a gigantic meal, sit down with everyone that you haven’t seen since last year (in most cases), say grace, and then eat. That’s all fine well and good but everybody in my family knows the best part of Thanksgiving Day is the “what are you thankful for ?“,question that gets tossed around the table. Watching the faces of your family as the ones who had prepared for this question immediately answer and smile as the rest of the family ”awh” in unison, because it touched their hearts. If it hadn’t been a whole year between this Thanksgiving, and last years Thanksgiving they might have noticed that was the exact same answer that individual gave the previous year when faced with this question. The best family members are those who whip their answer out of thin air right there on the spot, cause their family to erupt in peels of laughter, because they all know you just said it so they would leave you alone and move on to the next victim, I mean family member.
I admit I happen to be one of the latter. When that mind numbing question comes knocking on my door, I spend several minutes looking stupefied, because I had wished that we were going to skip this ritual this year. After, I recover from my initial shock I began to scrape my brain for a seemingly decent answer. Ten minutes later I deliver my answer to the inhabitants of the table. My family all flash me these looks like I am some kind of alien life form. So of course I start thinking I said the wrong thing, they will always remember my Thanksgiving mishap, it will become a topic of conversation at all the family gatherings, and I will forever be known as the kid who ruined Thanksgiving.
In a panic I began to come up with a plan to escape my never ending humiliation at the hands of my loved ones. I would run away to live in the wild with the wolves, eat off of the land, never have to suffer through another Thanksgiving, or maybe I should just speak up. You see none of my relatives could hear my answer, because I had answered in an extremely quiet whisper. My cheeks went rosy as I opened my mouth, and repeated my answer in a louder tone. My family laughed so hard they had tears rolling down their cheeks. To see them laughing, enjoying me for being me, it made me feel right. It made me feel that right then in that moment of space and time it was alright to be me. That I wasn’t half bad I was actually pretty cool.
So I would have to say I am thankful for my family, because they made me who I am, without them who knows what I would be like.