STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Annual Anxiety that is Thanksgiving

kendro4
Every year it’s the same dull cycle. Get the bird, get the family together, cook a gigantic meal, sit down with everyone that you haven’t seen since last year (in most cases), say grace, and then eat. That’s all fine well and good but everybody in my family knows the best part of Thanksgiving Day is the “what are you thankful for ?“,question that gets tossed around the table. Watching the faces of your family as the ones who had prepared for this question immediately answer and smile as the rest of the family ”awh” in unison, because it touched their hearts. If it hadn’t been a whole year between this Thanksgiving, and last years Thanksgiving they might have noticed that was the exact same answer that individual gave the previous year when faced with this question. The best family members are those who whip their answer out of thin air right there on the spot, cause their family to erupt in peels of laughter, because they all know you just said it so they would leave you alone and move on to the next victim, I mean family member.
I admit I happen to be one of the latter. When that mind numbing question comes knocking on my door, I spend several minutes looking stupefied, because I had wished that we were going to skip this ritual this year. After, I recover from my initial shock I began to scrape my brain for a seemingly decent answer. Ten minutes later I deliver my answer to the inhabitants of the table. My family all flash me these looks like I am some kind of alien life form. So of course I start thinking I said the wrong thing, they will always remember my Thanksgiving mishap, it will become a topic of conversation at all the family gatherings, and I will forever be known as the kid who ruined Thanksgiving.
In a panic I began to come up with a plan to escape my never ending humiliation at the hands of my loved ones. I would run away to live in the wild with the wolves, eat off of the land, never have to suffer through another Thanksgiving, or maybe I should just speak up. You see none of my relatives could hear my answer, because I had answered in an extremely quiet whisper. My cheeks went rosy as I opened my mouth, and repeated my answer in a louder tone. My family laughed so hard they had tears rolling down their cheeks. To see them laughing, enjoying me for being me, it made me feel right. It made me feel that right then in that moment of space and time it was alright to be me. That I wasn’t half bad I was actually pretty cool.
So I would have to say I am thankful for my family, because they made me who I am, without them who knows what I would be like.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy