Animals: The Owl from Nowhere

smckenzie3245
Imagine white picket fences lining the edge of a perfectly cut emerald lawn. The wind slowly blows the daffodils, making them dance against the house. Kids are playing in the street while mothers protectively watch them from the porch swing. Did you imagine this mysterious place? Well, I will tell you that this peculiar land is called suburbia. I come from this mystifying place. In fact, I have lived here my whole life and quite comfortable living in the safe and calming environment. My family doesn't do a lot of traveling, and we like it that way. So the day my father decided to tell my family that we were going to live on a boat in Arizona for a month was quite a shocking.
So here I am, sitting on the shoreline of a lake in front of the houseboat we rented. The sunrise is dazzling; the beautiful hues of purple and reds mixing together always takes my breath away. I was quite content just watching the view for a while, but the biting ants and prickly thorns that blanketed the beach made me think otherwise. My father thought it was a good idea if we all took a hike across the beach; I thought not. The idea of walking miles after miles at 8:00 did not suit well for perhaps any lazy teenager. My family coerced me until I finally groaned and followed them.
After a mile or so we came across a large stone hill. It was made out of smooth, white, rock, and it was covered in holes the size of softballs. My family and I predicted that at night, the bats will come out and roam the air for pesky mosquitoes and flies. I silently thanked the nocturnal animals and started to climb the hill.
We finally got to the stop, easily a few miles from the ground. I felt myself gasp; the view was dazzling. The sunlight caressed the orange and grey boulders, showing off their rich pigment. The water shone like a diamond; it looked so silky that I wanted to let it glide between my fingers. I pulled my gaze away to observe a bunch of cactus that sat near my feet. Before I could get closer to the spiky plant, a blur of white flashed across me. I turned my neck so hard that I pulled my muscle, but what I saw made me forget it. It was a snow white owl, the first time I have seen one. Its wings showed off velvety feathers that any one would have been jealous of. It let out a long hoot as the sun made it look like a detailed silhouette. It suddenly made a sharp dip towards the water, away from my line of sight.
A sudden feeling of calmness filled me to the brim. My bones felt like gelatin but at the same time shivers vibrated down my spine. I replayed the majestic sight again in my memory when I realized that I haven't seen such beautiful things in a long time. People rush too fast in life; you are going to reach the same place anyway, so it all seemed unnecessary. If people took time to really immerse themselves in nature, than everyone would be much more content with themselves and their surroundings. I am glad I went on this trip; I received the knowledge of knowing.