Animals: She’s More Than A Cat

angelica.christine
Enraptured by the rich and mellifluous Italian opera, I swayed my lissome body across the living room floor. Twirling myself in the sun’s butter rays, my spicy, sangria mottled feline purred as she stretched herself over the crest of the couch. I sensed an ebullient abandon in the both of us; we gave in to the ephemeral respite from our harsh realities. The opera peaked at a spectacular trill as I inadvertently grazed my arm over my cat’s silky tail. She widened her chartreuse eyes and leapt onto a rack of drying pots and pans—CRASH! A dented and terribly rusted iron pan toppled to the floor. “Moorka!” I scolded, clenching my fists, “Get back here!” She darted through the cat door. I knelt on the floor and gathered the fallen pots and pans. And then I heard the blaring sirens of a passing firetruck, the quarreling couple next door, and all of the plaguing cacophonies that, on occasion, momentarily compromise my sanity.

The sun fell below the horizon, the sky blanketed with a hazy darkness similar to that of a crow’s wing. I stared out the window watching the colors change, as I was unable to sleep. Why is tonight so terribly cold? I awaited Moorka’s furtive patting paws to trail into my bedroom at the dead of night, and that warm, fluffy ball to fall asleep beside me.
“Moorka! Moorka!” I leapt out of bed after drifting off, searching for her in the dark.
The lights flicked on in my parents’ room, and they yelled back to go to bed. And they said she would come back in the morning, but when strains of light peeked through the ashen clouds, she was still gone. Oh, Moorka, where have you gone?

Two weeks later.

“Mom,” I asked, “She isn’t coming back, is she?”
My mom handed me a steaming bowl of borscht, “Sweetie, we searched everywhere, and we asked everyone….I’m sorry, but there is little else we can do.”
I devoured the hot, crimson concoction. But suddenly there was a scraping on the door.
“Mom! It’s Moorka! Moorka is here!” I insisted, pointing at the door.
“No, it’s not.”
“Yes, I know it is! She came back!” I opened the door to the dirtiest, smelliest, most wondrous cat in the world, and swung her around in tears.

My neighbor was stunned to see that she had returned. It turned out that he had driven her half an hour away and left her alone, for he detested cats. Moorka had miraculously found her way back to me. I would never have thought it possible for a cat to be so brave and intelligent.

Curled around the leg of the kitchen table, Moorka smoothed her tongue over her shiny, clean coat of fur as the television played in the other room. I scooped her up into my arms and held her tightly for a deep moment, and said, “You are more than just a cat.”