I Am Thankful For Life's Rougher Moments

victor ye
At Thanksgiving, people proclaim their appreciation for their good fortune around the dinner table. However, I am gratified for something else: life’s obstructions. Most people may not view them as gifts, but I have matured from life’s rougher moments.

At five years of age, my language development was slow. I couldn’t speak articulately. I seldom responded when the teacher issued out elementary exercises and didn’t contribute when she announced to my enthusiastic class it was sing-a-long time. My lack of communication was interpreted as a sign of “language disability”, and I was singled out for “special” treatment. I was ousted in the classroom and from games. I had no friends, only an undesirable status.

Luckily, there was still hope for me, as my parents took action. My mom sought many traditional medicines promoting language function growth. Every day, I repeated sentences that I had scrupulously practiced for the umpteenth time. My parents time and again went to the school to confer with my teachers for a fitting plan. In the misunderstanding glances of some students and parents, I bravely persisted my linguistic studies with a language instructor. Whenever Christmas and my birthday rolled around or my language progressed, the gift I received was always a book. I persevered through each step in tedious and repetitive training during two years. I had known that after this road, I would accomplish great things; if I gave up, I would have nothing.

Like water can support boats as well as capsize them, defects aren’t necessarily harmful. My experience unexpectedly transformed me into a bibliophile; whether at home, school, or a lawn, I was an avid reader, reading more novels than anyone else. I also won second place at a regional public speech competition in fourth grade. At twelve, in the SAT, my essay scored a 10/12. I attended two consecutive summers in U.C. Berkeley with two A’s in the Writing for High School and Writing for College courses.

Man is like a diamond — the more the gem is whetted, the more it will sparkle. This experience’s value has made riches lackluster. Though I had suffered greatly, it made me mature and resolute. I know in the duel between obstacles and determination, if “perseverance” is wielded, obstacles will be surmounted. I recognize impediments like a difficult book: after arduously reading, people can profoundly comprehend life’s reasoning. From this, I feel life’s wonderment: when my classmates, who before taunted me, applauded my academic achievements, I saw my experience’s meaning for the community. This is a chief, yet uncomplicated principle that everybody should consider. Instead of ignoring personal issues or yielding to an impediment, one must persevere to enhance one’s condition and being. Like my preceding “status” and my academic augmentation, a person should welcome the challenges that life pitches at him, and utilize them to advance himself and his life. Ultimately, I identified with something exceptional about man: when he is within his darkest moments, he still can progress towards a gleaming horizon of success.
Comment by kvaragur

What an inspirational story! I've always only been able to appreciate these kinds of things in my own life in retrospect, so I'm working on building up this mindset while I'm actually in the midst of one of those "rougher moments."
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 11:02:07 AM
Comment by otu

A very good story - a fresh air for readers! Usually teens, even ordinary adults, expect life to be easy, and try to escape from life's rougher moments and do not have the courage to cop with life's tough time. They may not know that if we do not actively deal with the rougher moments, the whole life would be rougher.

This story has a special point of view and an educational value. Hope we can read more story like this one to help us to open our view.
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2010 7:25:58 PM

Awesome story of victory and personal triumph! You have mastered a concept that many people have yet to conceive! I can personally relate to your circumstances and am inspired by how they propelled you into resolve. Thanks for sharing!
Posted: Saturday, December 4, 2010 2:23:28 AM
Comment by CeliaPowers

Wow! This is a very moving story of personal victory. Not many people would think to appreciate "life's rougher moments". You have a wonderful writing style, and I loved your profoundly written metaphors. In your essay, you have brought up many of life's lessons, and you delineated them excellently. Your personal example of triumph has inspired me! Awesome! ^_^

P.S: I noticed that your name is appropriately "victory(e)"!
Posted: Sunday, December 5, 2010 6:31:07 AM
Comment by AmyDoodle

I applaud your determination and persistance ,and the presence of mind to turn a challenging situation into a successful one!
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:37:49 AM
Comment by bugcandy

I'm the CEO for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that the essay you submitted above was one of the semi-finalists for our November student writing contest.

Congratulations!

We look forward to reading more of your essays and obversations about life on the site!

Don't hesitate to Contact Us if you have any questions.

Eric

Eric Thiegs
CEO/President
Stage of Life
www.stageoflife.com
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 3:54:37 PM