STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Am Thankful For Life's Rougher Moments

victor ye
At Thanksgiving, people proclaim their appreciation for their good fortune around the dinner table. However, I am gratified for something else: life’s obstructions. Most people may not view them as gifts, but I have matured from life’s rougher moments.

At five years of age, my language development was slow. I couldn’t speak articulately. I seldom responded when the teacher issued out elementary exercises and didn’t contribute when she announced to my enthusiastic class it was sing-a-long time. My lack of communication was interpreted as a sign of “language disability”, and I was singled out for “special” treatment. I was ousted in the classroom and from games. I had no friends, only an undesirable status.

Luckily, there was still hope for me, as my parents took action. My mom sought many traditional medicines promoting language function growth. Every day, I repeated sentences that I had scrupulously practiced for the umpteenth time. My parents time and again went to the school to confer with my teachers for a fitting plan. In the misunderstanding glances of some students and parents, I bravely persisted my linguistic studies with a language instructor. Whenever Christmas and my birthday rolled around or my language progressed, the gift I received was always a book. I persevered through each step in tedious and repetitive training during two years. I had known that after this road, I would accomplish great things; if I gave up, I would have nothing.

Like water can support boats as well as capsize them, defects aren’t necessarily harmful. My experience unexpectedly transformed me into a bibliophile; whether at home, school, or a lawn, I was an avid reader, reading more novels than anyone else. I also won second place at a regional public speech competition in fourth grade. At twelve, in the SAT, my essay scored a 10/12. I attended two consecutive summers in U.C. Berkeley with two A’s in the Writing for High School and Writing for College courses.

Man is like a diamond — the more the gem is whetted, the more it will sparkle. This experience’s value has made riches lackluster. Though I had suffered greatly, it made me mature and resolute. I know in the duel between obstacles and determination, if “perseverance” is wielded, obstacles will be surmounted. I recognize impediments like a difficult book: after arduously reading, people can profoundly comprehend life’s reasoning. From this, I feel life’s wonderment: when my classmates, who before taunted me, applauded my academic achievements, I saw my experience’s meaning for the community. This is a chief, yet uncomplicated principle that everybody should consider. Instead of ignoring personal issues or yielding to an impediment, one must persevere to enhance one’s condition and being. Like my preceding “status” and my academic augmentation, a person should welcome the challenges that life pitches at him, and utilize them to advance himself and his life. Ultimately, I identified with something exceptional about man: when he is within his darkest moments, he still can progress towards a gleaming horizon of success.
Rate this:
Comment by kvaragur

What an inspirational story! I've always only been able to appreciate these kinds of things in my own life in retrospect, so I'm working on building up this mindset while I'm actually in the midst of one of those "rougher moments."
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 11:02:07 AM
Rate this:
Comment by otu

A very good story - a fresh air for readers! Usually teens, even ordinary adults, expect life to be easy, and try to escape from life's rougher moments and do not have the courage to cop with life's tough time. They may not know that if we do not actively deal with the rougher moments, the whole life would be rougher.

This story has a special point of view and an educational value. Hope we can read more story like this one to help us to open our view.
Posted: Friday, December 3, 2010 7:25:58 PM
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

Awesome story of victory and personal triumph! You have mastered a concept that many people have yet to conceive! I can personally relate to your circumstances and am inspired by how they propelled you into resolve. Thanks for sharing!
Posted: Saturday, December 4, 2010 2:23:28 AM
Rate this:
Comment by CeliaPowers

Wow! This is a very moving story of personal victory. Not many people would think to appreciate "life's rougher moments". You have a wonderful writing style, and I loved your profoundly written metaphors. In your essay, you have brought up many of life's lessons, and you delineated them excellently. Your personal example of triumph has inspired me! Awesome! ^_^

P.S: I noticed that your name is appropriately "victory(e)"!
Posted: Sunday, December 5, 2010 6:31:07 AM
Rate this:
Comment by AmyDoodle

I applaud your determination and persistance ,and the presence of mind to turn a challenging situation into a successful one!
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:37:49 AM
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

I'm the CEO for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that the essay you submitted above was one of the semi-finalists for our November student writing contest.

Congratulations!

We look forward to reading more of your essays and obversations about life on the site!

Don't hesitate to Contact Us if you have any questions.

Eric

Eric Thiegs
CEO/President
Stage of Life
www.stageoflife.com
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 3:54:37 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy