STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I am thankful for my grandparents

yrs00191
Walking down the brown road of earth, I see the storm—whirling over the mountains. The scene darkens with the moisture thickening. Still the sound doesn’t reach here, but occasional flashes…
I’m walking with my grandfather. In Miryang, where he began his life. He grew up here, with no father but with three female siblings; his father died in Japan without any reason, as far as we know, during Japanese colonization, leaving my grandfather the only male in the household. He had started his life in spite, yet here I saw his smile next to me as he showed me what he had set up for over seventy years of his life: his lands that he had ploughed for half a century, the village he has dedicated himself.
Had it been a hundred years ago, it would have been different: all of family members will live in his house, respecting him as an ancestor. All fifteen of us-his sons, daughters, daughters-in-law, grandsons, and more-would have lived with him. But things have changed. His sons in Seoul, his daughter near Busan, we all live apart. Still more, I will move to US. Although he has carved out his life, this time, he cannot do as he wishes.
But no regret or wistfulness I found there. Having stayed in Miryang for four days with my grandparents, I had observed how fondly they got along, and how content they were. In many ways, my grandparents all so resemble this village, this land: as the air was, soft and sweet air; and as the land was, embracing and comforting. The black mountains that surround this earthen city remind me of my orientation, called Go-Hiang.
Across the green tiles of farmlands, two generations reach a bridge that situates over a stream and that connects the zone of earth and yellow-brown city of people. Four town’s women have come out for breeze. There was no other male. My grandfather and I stand along the seated women and lean on the bridge. Flash. The storm is coming. But the heaven above my head only shows stars and the transparent universe…
Once, in my hometown, Seoul, I often wandered around my house when strong winds blew and rain hit hard. I stood on the road, taking shower with raindrops, letting people pass by my sides. But then, I also love to feel the vastness of sky and universe and feel myself in this world, a feeling of expansion and smallness. Such a weird feeling that is.
Standing on the two very separate cultures and lives, I feel pride and gratefulness. I have somewhere to return, always. Here, this is my root, my life’s starting point. Looking around, I find a dog, sniffing at my leg, and sitting down next to me. Sitting down beside the stranger, I scratch his back and we look at the storm together. Wind blows but storm seems far away still. My grandfather smiles at me, his wrinkles like mountain’s surface…
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy