STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Animals: Meep and Donut

anna0331
I have always wanted a pet, especially a dog or cat. Sadly, my dad never thought I was responsible enough to take care of a dog or a cat, so we improvised and bought two hamsters instead. June 18, 2013, marks the day that I adopted my first pets. I picked out two dwarf hamsters and they are the cutest little things ever. I didn’t want my hamsters to have any original boring names like Ham or Hammy. I thought they should have unique random names, so therefore, I named them Meep and Donut.
I picked out a really cool cage that looked like a mini house. It had two stories, stairs, a couch, and the food bowl was in the shape of a chair. It was a beautiful mint green and it was very easy to clean and assemble. The pet store told me to not handle my hamsters a lot for the first week so they could get used to their new environment. That first week seemed like the longest week of my life. I was so eager to pet and play with them. Finally, when the week was over, I brought them out of their cage and played with them for hours. I had a tough time identifying which hamster was which. So, after playing with them for a while, I noticed their tails were not the same length. The one with the longer tail was Meep and the one with the shorter tail was Donut.
After having my hamsters for two months, my sister became jealous and wanted two hamsters of her own. My dad and I went to the pet store and bought her two dwarf hamsters. She named them Squishy and Squirmy. My 6-year-old sister was not very responsible and I had to take care of them for her. I did not like that because they were not mine nor my responsibility. We bought them for her to teach her responsibility. Long story short, my sister failed at this task and they both died within a month. It was a very sad day. I was nice enough to set up a tombstone for them and bury them nicely in our backyard.
I would play with my hamsters at least three times a week. We had so much fun and my hamsters were very comfortable with me. I gave them treats, bought them new toys, and I even tried to teach them tricks. Then one day, Donut went blind in one eye. I noticed because his eye was very cloudy, he had a cataract. I did some research and it is okay if Donut loses his eyesight because hamsters use their eyesight as their third sense. They rely more on their touch and hearing. Both my hamsters are still alive to this day, April 14, 2015, and I hope they live on. I love my hamsters.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy