Animals: Meep and Donut

anna0331
I have always wanted a pet, especially a dog or cat. Sadly, my dad never thought I was responsible enough to take care of a dog or a cat, so we improvised and bought two hamsters instead. June 18, 2013, marks the day that I adopted my first pets. I picked out two dwarf hamsters and they are the cutest little things ever. I didn’t want my hamsters to have any original boring names like Ham or Hammy. I thought they should have unique random names, so therefore, I named them Meep and Donut.
I picked out a really cool cage that looked like a mini house. It had two stories, stairs, a couch, and the food bowl was in the shape of a chair. It was a beautiful mint green and it was very easy to clean and assemble. The pet store told me to not handle my hamsters a lot for the first week so they could get used to their new environment. That first week seemed like the longest week of my life. I was so eager to pet and play with them. Finally, when the week was over, I brought them out of their cage and played with them for hours. I had a tough time identifying which hamster was which. So, after playing with them for a while, I noticed their tails were not the same length. The one with the longer tail was Meep and the one with the shorter tail was Donut.
After having my hamsters for two months, my sister became jealous and wanted two hamsters of her own. My dad and I went to the pet store and bought her two dwarf hamsters. She named them Squishy and Squirmy. My 6-year-old sister was not very responsible and I had to take care of them for her. I did not like that because they were not mine nor my responsibility. We bought them for her to teach her responsibility. Long story short, my sister failed at this task and they both died within a month. It was a very sad day. I was nice enough to set up a tombstone for them and bury them nicely in our backyard.
I would play with my hamsters at least three times a week. We had so much fun and my hamsters were very comfortable with me. I gave them treats, bought them new toys, and I even tried to teach them tricks. Then one day, Donut went blind in one eye. I noticed because his eye was very cloudy, he had a cataract. I did some research and it is okay if Donut loses his eyesight because hamsters use their eyesight as their third sense. They rely more on their touch and hearing. Both my hamsters are still alive to this day, April 14, 2015, and I hope they live on. I love my hamsters.