STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Animals: Always with me

nbhaskar
He was my friend, my confidant, my sounding board. When I came home from school, he was the first one I rushed to see, and told him stories about my day. Every gesture from him meant a reassurance of sorts. I always was very close to my parents, but as an only child, he was almost my sibling.
To most people, Ashutosh was just another red beta fish, but not to me. I got him as a present for my eighth birthday. I had pestered my parents for over a year for a pet that I could take care of. He arrived in a beautiful fish tank with a bright orange lid. The tank, no bigger than a shoe box, had been decorated with a neon green satin bow. I saw him and squealed ecstatically. He looked at me and puckered his mouth wondering what was so special about him. I knew immediately that we would be best friends.
“Ashutosh, you’re here”, the words slipped out of my mouth.
It was a name that had stuck with me from an Indian comic book I had read that summer break. He seemed to like his name. He swayed his tail fins gracefully and rushed to the other end of his plastic mansion.
We moved after two years. Everything was new, but it was all an exciting experience. ‘Ashu’ was eager to hear all about it. I even took him on a tour of our new house, gently carrying his tank. Something about the new place made him strut around the tank excitedly.
The first weekend in our new home, it was time to clean the tank. Mom followed the usual routine, transferred Ashutosh to the same lidless clear container, cleaned the tank at the kitchen sink, and waited for an hour for the water to get conditioned. I was busy doing my homework. Mom went back into the kitchen to continue her cooking. I heard her scream. I rushed to the kitchen and mom was frantically trying to pick up a shivering fish from the kitchen counter. She somehow managed to put him back into the tank. I sobbed as he sank to the bottom, looking at me, and trying to squeeze out a final goodbye with his side fins. He did not want to leave me. He had just been so excited about his new surroundings that he jumped extra high and fell out. I said I was sorry; maybe a lid on the box could have prevented the accident.
He fought hard for four days to stay alive. He barely swam and then gradually stopped eating. On Wednesday, when I came home from school, he was at the bottom of the tank, lifeless.I cried so much. We buried him in our yard seven years ago but Ashutosh has always been with me. When I recently got a high school award, I came home, opened my journal, and told him all about it.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy