STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Animals: Homeless Dogs in Ethiopia

dagmawi
It hasn't even been a year after we moved in to a new neighborhood, when I came across my first homeless dog. She was small, about a month or two old. She was beautiful even though her hair was short, hard and wiry.

I fell in love with her almost instantly, and I could see that she was lost, hungry and scared. But I knew I couldn't take her home even if I wanted to- my family wouldn't consent. So I went to a nearby bakery, bought bread and gave it to her. The next morning I found her sitting outside on my front door. And ever since that day, she literally became the neighborhood’s watch dog.

One amazing thing about her is the way she used to attack those she didn't like. She would sit outside our door and first act like she didn't see them passing by, but then she would get up and walk towards them without barking or making any noise. Then once she’s close enough she would either bark or bite. It all depends on her mood or the kind of person that’s passing by. Sometimes though, I think she does it just for fun and exercise, especially when her targets are kids.

Another incredible thing about her is how she picks up the stones people throw at her. I have never been able to figure out why she does that.

She became quite famous quickly. And once people of the neighborhood started understanding her value they began to give her equal or perhaps even greater care than me and my family.

She brought me memories that were funny, stressful, and scary. She would always chase people and put me in a position where I am to either defend or betray her. And because of that I called her Memorize.

There are hundreds of homeless dogs scattered in the streets of Addis Ababa (capital of Ethiopia). According to www.haps-eth.org.et there are about 750,000 homeless dogs in the city alone. What is incredibly unique and interesting about these homeless dogs in Addis Ababa is how most of them have owners who are homeless themselves. While these dogs provide protection, the people in return nourish them with love and food.
The saddest thing though is that dogs transmit diseases like rabies, scabies, ringworm and so forth to humans. Over 500 cases of rabies are reported annually. And to contain the spread of these diseases a regulation came out ordering the eradication of street dogs, and among those was Memorize.

I found her dead body on the street corner as I was coming home from school. I was so devastated that I just froze for a moment.

But, I recently learnt that there were organizations like Amsale Gessesse Memorial Foundation (AGMF) working to provide these homeless dogs with vaccinations and so forth. This is great news for all the homeless dogs in Ethiopia. But, I only wish they were there for Memo.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Pet / Animal story being chosen as 1 of the 10 essays in the running for 1st place for our April 2015 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment. We had over 100 essays submitted for April’s contest.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by May 31st. You can check this page for the results after May 31st:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2015 6:47:12 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your April 2015 Animal / Pet Story being tied for 3rd place.

We will post all winning essay results by May 31st. You can check this page for the results after May 31st:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 7:44:17 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

We wanted to let you know that our April 2015 Pet Stories Teen Trend Report is complete. In the report, we have compiled the statistics from our teen survey and come up with themes based on the submitted essays.

If you would like to view the teen trend report, here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandPets.aspx

Thanks again for sharing your story with the world!

- Rebecca
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:43:59 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy