Animals: Homeless Dogs in Ethiopia

dagmawi
It hasn't even been a year after we moved in to a new neighborhood, when I came across my first homeless dog. She was small, about a month or two old. She was beautiful even though her hair was short, hard and wiry.

I fell in love with her almost instantly, and I could see that she was lost, hungry and scared. But I knew I couldn't take her home even if I wanted to- my family wouldn't consent. So I went to a nearby bakery, bought bread and gave it to her. The next morning I found her sitting outside on my front door. And ever since that day, she literally became the neighborhood’s watch dog.

One amazing thing about her is the way she used to attack those she didn't like. She would sit outside our door and first act like she didn't see them passing by, but then she would get up and walk towards them without barking or making any noise. Then once she’s close enough she would either bark or bite. It all depends on her mood or the kind of person that’s passing by. Sometimes though, I think she does it just for fun and exercise, especially when her targets are kids.

Another incredible thing about her is how she picks up the stones people throw at her. I have never been able to figure out why she does that.

She became quite famous quickly. And once people of the neighborhood started understanding her value they began to give her equal or perhaps even greater care than me and my family.

She brought me memories that were funny, stressful, and scary. She would always chase people and put me in a position where I am to either defend or betray her. And because of that I called her Memorize.

There are hundreds of homeless dogs scattered in the streets of Addis Ababa (capital of Ethiopia). According to www.haps-eth.org.et there are about 750,000 homeless dogs in the city alone. What is incredibly unique and interesting about these homeless dogs in Addis Ababa is how most of them have owners who are homeless themselves. While these dogs provide protection, the people in return nourish them with love and food.
The saddest thing though is that dogs transmit diseases like rabies, scabies, ringworm and so forth to humans. Over 500 cases of rabies are reported annually. And to contain the spread of these diseases a regulation came out ordering the eradication of street dogs, and among those was Memorize.

I found her dead body on the street corner as I was coming home from school. I was so devastated that I just froze for a moment.

But, I recently learnt that there were organizations like Amsale Gessesse Memorial Foundation (AGMF) working to provide these homeless dogs with vaccinations and so forth. This is great news for all the homeless dogs in Ethiopia. But, I only wish they were there for Memo.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Pet / Animal story being chosen as 1 of the 10 essays in the running for 1st place for our April 2015 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment. We had over 100 essays submitted for April’s contest.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by May 31st. You can check this page for the results after May 31st:

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Posted: Friday, May 8, 2015 6:47:12 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your April 2015 Animal / Pet Story being tied for 3rd place.

Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 7:44:17 PM

We wanted to let you know that our April 2015 Pet Stories Teen Trend Report is complete. In the report, we have compiled the statistics from our teen survey and come up with themes based on the submitted essays.

If you would like to view the teen trend report, here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandPets.aspx

Thanks again for sharing your story with the world!

- Rebecca
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:43:59 PM