STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I'm Thankful for Those Small Moments

DanaMariexD
Every year during the month of November 'what are you thankful for?' is probably the most frequently asked question. I get asked it by my teachers, my parents, my friends, and basically everyone else.

And every year, I answer with the usual:
"I'm thankful for my friends."
"I'm thankful for my family."
"I'm thankful for food."

This year though, I'm getting sick of constantly answering with the same, mundane answers I had since Kindergarten.

So, what am I really thankful for?

I'm thankful for that moment when I feel so horribly alone, like I have no real friends and no one cares about me and that I'm just an annoying, stupid girl who can't do anything, and at that exact moment, I get a simple text from a friend asking if I'm okay.

I'm thankful for that moment when I'm in such a horrible mood and I'm yelling and screaming at everyone and slamming doors, and my mother just smiles at me and looks at me with all that love in her eyes that I know she has for me and all of my siblings no matter what.

I'm thankful for that moment when I'm sitting at home on a cold autumn night, eating (insert name of unhealthy snack), reading a book, and listening to silence.

I'm thankful for that moment when I'm in school and the teacher announces she's handing our tests back, which I always think I fail no matter what, and I see that A.

I'm thankful for that moment when I'm talking to a friend about a problem in the world and they say how they can't understand why the world would choose hate over love, and in my mind I can't help but hold that small hope for our future.

I'm thankful for that moment when I was in New York City and passed by a group of teen boys giving an entire McDonald's meal to a homeless man and wishing him a good day.

I'm thankful for all those small moments, that pass by so quickly, because those moments are what keep me going on through life, even when I want to give up.

I'm thankful for those moments because they might seem small or insignificant, but they make me feel content. They make me feel that generally happy feeling you get, you know, when your stomach feels light and you just brake it in a huge smile.

I'm just thankful to have those moments when I'm truly happy.
Rate this:
Comment by BrendanTOlson

Great Essay!!

I hate that they chose this topic for the competition, because I feel like that when they pick the winner, they are going to be saying "Your thankfulness is waaay better then what those other guys are thankful for!!"

I know that is ridiculous, but it is what keeps popping into my head.

But anyway, Great essay and I wish you the best of luck! ;)
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 4:38:54 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy