I'm Thankful for Those Small Moments

DanaMariexD
Every year during the month of November 'what are you thankful for?' is probably the most frequently asked question. I get asked it by my teachers, my parents, my friends, and basically everyone else.

And every year, I answer with the usual:
"I'm thankful for my friends."
"I'm thankful for my family."
"I'm thankful for food."

This year though, I'm getting sick of constantly answering with the same, mundane answers I had since Kindergarten.

So, what am I really thankful for?

I'm thankful for that moment when I feel so horribly alone, like I have no real friends and no one cares about me and that I'm just an annoying, stupid girl who can't do anything, and at that exact moment, I get a simple text from a friend asking if I'm okay.

I'm thankful for that moment when I'm in such a horrible mood and I'm yelling and screaming at everyone and slamming doors, and my mother just smiles at me and looks at me with all that love in her eyes that I know she has for me and all of my siblings no matter what.

I'm thankful for that moment when I'm sitting at home on a cold autumn night, eating (insert name of unhealthy snack), reading a book, and listening to silence.

I'm thankful for that moment when I'm in school and the teacher announces she's handing our tests back, which I always think I fail no matter what, and I see that A.

I'm thankful for that moment when I'm talking to a friend about a problem in the world and they say how they can't understand why the world would choose hate over love, and in my mind I can't help but hold that small hope for our future.

I'm thankful for that moment when I was in New York City and passed by a group of teen boys giving an entire McDonald's meal to a homeless man and wishing him a good day.

I'm thankful for all those small moments, that pass by so quickly, because those moments are what keep me going on through life, even when I want to give up.

I'm thankful for those moments because they might seem small or insignificant, but they make me feel content. They make me feel that generally happy feeling you get, you know, when your stomach feels light and you just brake it in a huge smile.

I'm just thankful to have those moments when I'm truly happy.
Comment by BrendanTOlson

Great Essay!!

I hate that they chose this topic for the competition, because I feel like that when they pick the winner, they are going to be saying "Your thankfulness is waaay better then what those other guys are thankful for!!"

I know that is ridiculous, but it is what keeps popping into my head.

But anyway, Great essay and I wish you the best of luck! ;)
Posted: Sunday, November 28, 2010 4:38:54 PM