Animals: The Bird on Christmas Eve

leslye390

Many people say that animals are just like humans. Which in many ways, it is true. Animals can feel, sometimes physically and also emotionally. So how we treat them is very important, it’s like how you treat a person, if you treat them bad, they will mostly not like you. Taking care of an animal might be hard, but animals do help a lot because they are always by your side, that depends on how you treat them. To me animals are very important and I’ve always been interesting in them. I always do my best to treat them as good as I can.

My first pet ever was a bird. My parents never wanted me to have pets but one day, as we walked outside to our backyard we saw him. He was hurt and was only just a baby; his gray feathers were barely starting to grow. His fall must have been bad because you could see he had poked his eye and he could not see from that eye. He also couldn’t fly, but that was because he was a baby. He struggled to let us grab him but we ended up carrying him and taking him inside. Feeding him was hard; we had to force him to eat because he wouldn’t eat by himself. I asked my mom if we could keep him. She said we could only keep him until he learned how to fly and then we had to let him go, I agreed so I decided to name him. His name was Chuku, I don’t know how I came up with it but that was his name. Every day we would check on him feed him, I would also carry him and pet him. Little by little he kept growing, in a few months you could see he was almost done growing all his feathers and he was a beautiful shade of gray. As time kept passing by he started being able to fly but only for a little then he would go down again he couldn’t stay up for long so we decided to keep him more time. He was getting better but on a Christmas Eve morning, when I got to his cage, I found him dead. He wasn’t moving I knew what was going on but I didn’t want to accept it. I cried all day long I remember I buried him outside on my backyard and just stood there for a while.

Even though it was a very tragic experience for me because I was young, it made me realize how much I like animals and how caring for them makes them a good part of your life. Animals are amazing creatures that should always be treated right and animal abuse should stop. We help animals a lot by giving them food, shelter, care and love but sometimes what we don’t realize is that animals help us a lot too by making us who we are.