Animals: The Forgotten Impact

nicolewalks_
Whether it be a dog, cat, rabbit, bird, or any other potential creature that a human decides to graciously nurture, some people take their beloved pet for granted. Shamefully, I admit to being a member of this said group. I don’t appreciate everything my dogs do for me even though they help me in ways that no human really can.
I have two dogs—complete opposites but both extremely loving. One is a black Chihuahua named Missy, the other a white bichon named Lily.
Missy is almost nine years old; my family adopted her when she was five. For the first five years of her life, Missy was in a puppy mill, being forced to breed puppies that she would never be able to raise. She was locked in a cage and abused during this time period. When she was recovered, her teeth were gnarled and destroyed from her constantly chewing on the cage she was confined in, so they pulled them all out, leaving her toothless.
Our family knew it was love at first sight with her. She was shy but still approached us, looking to us for a home. Buying her was one of the smartest decisions of our lives. When she wanders into a room, people can’t help but be adored by her and her backstory. She has inspired my family to spread the awareness for puppy mill dogs; they just want to be loved. There are times that I forget of the horrors she went through for five years, but when any of our family members is out educating a friend or neighbor about puppy mills and our wonderful dog, it makes me proud to know that my family helped save a life.
Lily, our bichon, has a different story. We bought her as soon as we moved to Pennsylvania, so currently, she is seven years old. She’s more sociable with people than Missy is; she barks on a daily basis, runs around the house like a maniac, and tries to grab food from plates at the dinner table. She has so much energy in her—always running and looking for opportunities to go outside and enjoy nature.
These qualities of Lily I recognize because they’re the most prominent features of her. Behind closed doors at night when she sleeps in my room, I talk to her about my problems. She doesn’t judge me, and she just sits across from me and listens. I’ve laughed and cried in front of her, which can be seen as strange, but this helps me cope with situations. She acts as my supporter, and I don’t give her enough credit for that.
Both of my dogs have a large impact on my life that I forget time and time again; one has educated me, and the other has helped me through life. Together, they've influenced me in ways that I’ll always be grateful for, even if I forget to acknowledge so.