Animals: Their Status in Morality

Suraj.raj
When we think of right or wrong, we, as humans, are usually extremely anthropocentric. We tend to forget that there are other creatures out there in the world that have an innate sense of morality. But, going past the point, there are certain thoughts that rift along claiming that we only have a moral obligation to act in a "good" way to other humans, and not necessarily to animals. Now, this is granting permission to evildoers out there to abuse animals in whatever way they want. These abused animals, much like humans, will have traumatic memories and suffer for the rest of their lives. Why? Well, this is because animals can feel and sense pain just like us. They have, what we call life, and I believe they have the right to live it. Of course, some will say that they're already being denied this right because of ecological concepts such as natural selection and survival of the fittest. Being an animal rights activist doesn't necessarily mean you want everyone in the world to be vegetarian so that no animals get hurt. That's simply not practical. Rather, they advocate ending pointless animal persecution; some examples being animal abuse (as detailed above) and hunting for amusement. For the latter, there are people who would suggest that hunting is just a tradition and sewn into the culture. But how does this condone the action? Let's say that murdering ten people a day was part of a culture. Just because it was part of the culture doesn't mean it is a moral action because we are ending the light that shines in a creature's life, both in hunting for pleasure and murdering ten people. And so, I would like to end by saying that animal abuse is not a joke as many would think; it is a serious problem that should be met. Fortunately, there are many programs and laws around the world that provide animals haven from abuse and hunting. To provide an example, we see Africa, which had long been a site for the ivory trade, shut down elephant poaching. Even in the U.S., there are laws restricting the abuse on animals. Recently, the FBI stated that animal abuse is a "crime against society". Steps like these are what will make an equal and harmonic world, in which animals and humans can live in peace.