STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Animals: Hug Your Pets A Little Tighter

flyleafet9
Years ago, my mom got my sister and I a puppy. I remember walking into the breeder's apartment and being introduced to a box of sleeping boxer puppies. Nervous about getting our first large dog, we leaned towards the runt of the litter. That was until we saw the pup fast asleep with her tongue out. Months later, we set out to pick up Harrow.
She was a handful in the beginning with her constant crying and stubbornness. But once she warmed up to us, all of that was forgotten. I remember her and my sister napping on the couch, Harrow settled on her stomach. I remember our other dog letting Harrow lay on the dog bed, then proceeding to lay on the floor next to her and clean her ears and face until she fell asleep. She wasn't just special to us.
I remember how different she acted, and how her excitement was replaced by fatigue. When she could no longer climb onto my bed, I knew something was wrong. A couple days later, my mother examined her, called for assistance, and within minutes we were off to the emergency vet. The woman worked and spoke quickly. When she brought Harrow back to us, she informed us that she was suffering from serious internal bleeding. I held Harrow and cried. After multiple tests and scans, we learned that it was due to a tumor on one of her organs. The woman then told us that surgery could fix the problem, but would be costly. I remember my mother shifting funds and doing everything she could to cover the cost. My older siblings even offered what they could.
I stayed on the floor with her. She fell asleep on my legs and I covered her with my jacket to keep her warm. My parents decided that before spending 7 grand, they wanted to verify that surgery would work. With that, the vet took her away from me for more scans. I remember telling my mother that I wouldn't ask for any birthday or Christmas gifts again if we could try. The vet called my parents out to discuss results. I remember the feeling that hit me when my mother walked into the room crying. It turned out that there were multiple tumors, and a major one on her liver. Surgery was out the window, and our only option was to giver her blood transfusions to get her through the night, which at might not work at that point. We took a vote to euthanize her.
I remember the vet lifting her onto the table. Harrow always liked the veterinarians, so she weakly wiggled her butt in excitement. She settled down and the woman inserted the IV. Everyone got up and said their tearful goodbyes, and the woman administered the drugs.
It was so quick. Harrow snored for a second or two and then stopped breathing altogether. Just like that, my baby and best friend had passed on.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy