Animals: Hug Your Pets A Little Tighter

flyleafet9
Years ago, my mom got my sister and I a puppy. I remember walking into the breeder's apartment and being introduced to a box of sleeping boxer puppies. Nervous about getting our first large dog, we leaned towards the runt of the litter. That was until we saw the pup fast asleep with her tongue out. Months later, we set out to pick up Harrow.
She was a handful in the beginning with her constant crying and stubbornness. But once she warmed up to us, all of that was forgotten. I remember her and my sister napping on the couch, Harrow settled on her stomach. I remember our other dog letting Harrow lay on the dog bed, then proceeding to lay on the floor next to her and clean her ears and face until she fell asleep. She wasn't just special to us.
I remember how different she acted, and how her excitement was replaced by fatigue. When she could no longer climb onto my bed, I knew something was wrong. A couple days later, my mother examined her, called for assistance, and within minutes we were off to the emergency vet. The woman worked and spoke quickly. When she brought Harrow back to us, she informed us that she was suffering from serious internal bleeding. I held Harrow and cried. After multiple tests and scans, we learned that it was due to a tumor on one of her organs. The woman then told us that surgery could fix the problem, but would be costly. I remember my mother shifting funds and doing everything she could to cover the cost. My older siblings even offered what they could.
I stayed on the floor with her. She fell asleep on my legs and I covered her with my jacket to keep her warm. My parents decided that before spending 7 grand, they wanted to verify that surgery would work. With that, the vet took her away from me for more scans. I remember telling my mother that I wouldn't ask for any birthday or Christmas gifts again if we could try. The vet called my parents out to discuss results. I remember the feeling that hit me when my mother walked into the room crying. It turned out that there were multiple tumors, and a major one on her liver. Surgery was out the window, and our only option was to giver her blood transfusions to get her through the night, which at might not work at that point. We took a vote to euthanize her.
I remember the vet lifting her onto the table. Harrow always liked the veterinarians, so she weakly wiggled her butt in excitement. She settled down and the woman inserted the IV. Everyone got up and said their tearful goodbyes, and the woman administered the drugs.
It was so quick. Harrow snored for a second or two and then stopped breathing altogether. Just like that, my baby and best friend had passed on.