Animals: Our pulse, ár chuisle

ares1

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
― Anatole France
A world without animals would be no less than a world without happiness. As said by Anatole France in the beautiful quote above, a part of you will always feel empty until and unless the warmth by an animal’s love fills it .
The feeling of recreation you feel when you hold a new born kitten or a tiny, little puppy is so intense that you remember it lifelong. I have had quite a few experiences with animals, some bitter and some sweet. But there is one incident that pops into my mind always when I think about this topic. I was about 6 years old and we used to live in a double storied house. Our neighbours had a dog, a very energetic ball of fur, always trotting around and scampering here and there. I was very scared of him; he used to run behind me barking every time I wandered into his vicinity. So one day, I was coming back home, alone. My sister was not there with me that day and coincidentally I could see no one in our block, which usually bustled with energy, but I saw my garage open and our car parked inside. Suddenly I saw something white from the corner of my eye, something moving very fast. WOOF! WOOF! Came the sound of a dog and I had my heart in my throat. Adrenaline pumping in my veins I saw our neighbour’s dog running towards me. I looked around and cried out “AAA! Help me!” but there was no one around! I deciphered my only escape – THE GARAGE! I ran towards it with full speed, without looking back as I was petrified. JUMP! THUMP! CLAMP! CLUTTER! I knocked down the toolbox in my hurry and with a new-found skill of a gymnast, leaped toward the car. In 5 steps I was on the hood of the car and crying my eyes out, wailing and screaming for help. Finally my all my neighbours came out, but a mischievous smile played on their lips. I wondered why and then I realised how the scene would be looking to them. A small girl, scared out of her wits and sprawled on the hood of a car as if a wolf was behind her but in reality was just a small, white Pomeranian barking like a maniac. I was rescued, thankfully and have always been scared of dogs and their barks but that doesn't stop me from loving them, loving a thing that you’re scared of is funny but gives intense gratification .