I Am Thankful for My Ability to Write This Sentence

michelleon
The world is made of tiny miracles, the tiniest, most minuscule of them being life. But that's also the one I am most grateful for, that coordination, that perfect harmony of my brain, my heart, and my muscles that allows me to express my thoughts on paper. It's too bad that it takes an overrated, somewhat (all right completely) unnecessary national holiday to make me realize this, but better late than never right?

As my family sat around the table last night, waiting eagerly for the signal that we could dig in to the feast before us, we were forced to prolong our wait a little longer and say what we were thankful for. I say forced, because really, I just wanted to start eating, already the garlic mashed potatoes had stopped steaming and it was becoming a wholly impossible task to repress the low growling sounds from my stomach, and suddenly my mother was demanding that we each state the things we are grateful for? Madness I say! But soon, I realized that she had a point, and when it was finally my turn, (though I was somewhat daunted, after all who could follow "I am thankful that mommy didn't burn the turkey.") I said, "I am thankful that I am here and able to tell the people I love what I am thankful for." And, you know what, I was.

I know that if I were not able to type or write or speak my thoughts I would go crazy. My form of self-expression, the way I work through the heartaches, stress, and angst of being a teenager, is writing. My biggest fear is dying in silence, unable to communicate to my family and friends, unable to tell them how much I love and appreciate them as I lie moribund. But my gratitude is not motivated by fear of absence, but rather, by the joys I experience by writing. Opening my heart to others and painting pictures is what fulfills me, it makes me happy, just as knowledge that you just saved a life fulfills a doctor. I give a piece of my heart to whoever reads my work, I reveal a small part of my soul. And even writing this now is a miracle in itself, one I am sincerely grateful for (and not just superficially so I can start eating). So thank you, Powers that be, for my ability to write this sentence.