Weather: Cécité

Pen2Paper
I had just turned sixteen. By California law, I was a step closer to being labeled as an adult: I had the right to drive, work and obtain a ten-year passport. Despite the many benefits of such an age, it promised no warranty for happiness. I had just made the uncomfortable transition from a closely-knit community at a small private school to the merciless confines of a public high school. Like Louis XVI or Pope Benedict XVI, I was unable to adapt to a position I didn’t expect to be in. I ingested daily pills for ADHD, received six shots per week for severe allergies and swallowed sleeping pills on a nightly basis; The effects of medication are finite, however, and I became very depressed because of my difficulties medically, socially and academically.

There are only three men who turn to God: The benevolent man, who wishes to lend his talents and time to a charitable cause; The greedy man, who obeys His commands in dreams of a luxurious and eternal life; And the lonely man, who is desperate for camaraderie and protection from an ever-powerful, omnipresent being. I was the latter. On my birthday in a breezy September morning, I looked to him for guidance. I did not request any changes; I only asked that he lend me the tools to make myself happy. The sky was concealed by heavy, forlorn clouds, however, and if He offered a message from His perch in the sky, I wouldn’t know. Rain was lashing at my face; Tears and precipitation blended together in a cascade across my cheeks.

I was with my father at this time. He was presenting an argument that my mother was indifferent to my well-being. I was hurt that he would make such an accusation, and I was devastated that his points were valid. His comments were unsurprising, as he maintained a tradition of being abusive on birthdays. He concluded his rant by expressing his disgust at being connected to me by blood. I shrugged my shoulders and hung my head; I’d heard it before. The bar exam didn’t test compassion, I suppose.

“Show me a light,” I whispered to the sky several hours later, nestled in a splintered grey rocking chair in my backyard.

And He did. The clouds disseminated, the rain receded. Sunlight doused me and its warmth invigorated me. I couldn’t see a brighter future because a bleak environment surrounded me, much like the sky I was studying. That future wouldn’t appear on that breezy September night, but I was certain it would eventually.

And I was right.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our top 11 teen essays for our March writing contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed soon. We will then send a follow up post to inform you of the results.

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:10:00 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our runners up.

Be proud of your accomplishment! There were so many well crafted stories for March's contest.

Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:09:42 PM

We wanted to share our March 2015 Weather Stories "Teen Trend Report" with you. In this report, you will find survey results as well as themes that emerged from all the essays submitted.

Here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandtheWeather.aspx

Feel free to share the results with others, and as always, thanks so much for helping us with our mission to change the world, one story at a time.

- Rebecca Thiegs
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:37:56 PM