Weather: Monsoon Mayhem

ASarkar
The weather depicts the emotions of Mother Nature. We, as human beings, will never be able to fully understand the emotional turmoil and the change of weather. We may enjoy a gentle breeze in a summer evening one minute and be buffeted by a fierce hailstorm the next.
Last August, during the monsoon season, I travelled to India. I reached there on a cloudy afternoon and was very glad to meet my grandparents after a long time. They had grown older but their love for me had not waned. They were so happy to see me after many years and my grandmother cooked my favorite food.
On a Sunday afternoon, I came back home after visiting my cousins and was sitting with my grandparents watching the news. There was a heavy torrent outside. Suddenly, a news alert appeared. I noticed the alert was regarding a possible flood our city. I noticed that we were in a low-lying area and there was a big, beautiful river flowing by the side of the city not very far from our house.
That night we all went to bed after dinner worried about the flood alert. The house had no second floor so my grandmother put some valuables on the higher shelves. We were trying to ignore the alert and told ourselves the meteorologists were wrong, as happens all the time across the globe. We all went to bed anxious and scared.
Around 2 AM we heard people knocking on our door. “It must be the neighbors” my grandfather said while getting up to open the door. As soon as he put his foot down, there was water up to his ankle. We could hear the ominous sound of water rushing nearby.
Somehow, we got out of the house and ran to a nearby neighbor’s two story house. We did not get a chance to bring any valuables with us as the flood occurred so rapidly. We spent that ominous long night sleepless.
Like how all nights end at sunrise, our painful night also ended when the sun rose & we could see the destruction done by Mother Nature. We could see multiple items floating in the murky water. People were trying to find their near and dear ones who were washed away in the dark night.
By noon, a helicopter dropped some food and we survived on that food for the next 2 days. Soon, the water level started falling and we came back to our house only to find the valuables were washed away or destroyed. We were just trying to console each other that we were still alive.
I returned to the US after a few weeks and by that time my grandparents had settled back to their old life. So many years have passed after that horrific incident but I have never been able to forget it.
That's why it is said that we shall never be able to understand Mother Nature and her capricious nature.