Weather: A Gale to Break Men

PHILosophical
As do all great disasters, my calamity began while I was playing mini golf. Nearing the end of a marvelous summer day at the Jersey Boardwalk, three friends decided to have a competition befitting of men. Braving 18 holes across the course alongside me were the pragmatic giant, Aaron, and the king of skeptics, Roger. Within 9 holes, a bright blue sky had turned to foreboding grey; as I was lining up my shot, the first droplets began making splats the size of grapefruits on the grass.

Roger suddenly became skittish and talked of running back to our car, which was parked nearly a mile down the boardwalk. I didn’t pay heed to his concerns until the rain fell heavier and more solid. Opaque marbles started bouncing across the fairway like grains of salt kicked off an icy sidewalk. At the first sign of hail, Aaron made for the ticket booth to return our golf clubs. Armageddon broke loose no less than a minute afterwards.

The length of the boardwalk was deserted save for us companions. Hail dropped with ever greater density, slamming against wood with enough force to drum out an apocalyptic beat. The T-shirts and shorts we wore hardly withstood the barrage; our backs were pelted and soaked as we ran. A ferocious wind regularly threw us off balance, adding insult to injury. As I suffered the elements, I began to lag behind Roger and Aaron, who might as well have been specters in a mist. I did what I could to distinguish their forms from the swept–up rain and sheet of hail.

The only cover we could find for a moment of reprieve was under the slides at the kiddies’ playground. The storm had rolled in with a speed that inspired shock and awe. Accordingly, my thoughts were scrambled, so much so that I openly sobbed as I heard hail hit the roof I was under. It seemed as though pain and cold could find me wherever I hid, and I had no idea how far still our car was.

Roger tried to soothe me by talking about the final stretch as though it were just a minute’s jog. It was hard to believe him when I couldn’t see ten feet in front of me. There was no hiding the suffering as we watched the storm shake chained fences and easily throw chairs like blunt javelins. But eventually, reason won out among us–– that is, Aaron took charge and figured that we might as well die trying to get to refuge.

Aaron gave Roger and me ten seconds to gather our wits before he left us. I prepared myself, not out of resolution but out of primal fear. No matter what punishment the hail and wind would deliver, I couldn’t sit here alone.

With numb toes and tears streamed across our cheeks, we all made it back to the car. The mini golf afternoon seemed a faint memory. No one spoke a word during the trip home.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our top 11 teen essays for our March writing contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed soon. We will then send a follow up post to inform you of the results.

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:11:55 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our runners up.

Be proud of your accomplishment! There were so many well crafted stories for March's contest.

Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:11:13 PM

We wanted to share our March 2015 Weather Stories "Teen Trend Report" with you. In this report, you will find survey results as well as themes that emerged from all the essays submitted.

Here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandtheWeather.aspx

Feel free to share the results with others, and as always, thanks so much for helping us with our mission to change the world, one story at a time.

- Rebecca Thiegs
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:41:32 PM