Weather: Mirror of Innocence

GraceGilpin
It’s hard to remember when the world seemed pure. The times that childhood wonder still overtook me and I didn’t live constantly terrified of what was to come. The details from these times begin to fade with age yet I can still vaguely remember the curiosity and tranquility of them.
One of the memories that stuck the most is the time when vast amounts of rain overtook my small suburban neighborhood leaving us with flooded streets and marshy yards. During this flood I was about 6 or 7 and to me the murky water posed no harm and were nothing but a playground for me and my friends. For days my friend, Rachel, and I waded and splashed through the water barefoot and naive as to why our parents worried. It never occurred to us that beyond that murky water lied the unknown; malady and danger were below but to us the world was still beautiful and those things didn’t exist- we didn’t know pain. Sickness did not scare us as we had yet to experienced death. My parents worried about the flooded waters reaching our home and damaging our possessions. They moved the family photo albums upstairs and I remember being confused as to why the TV didn’t receive the same treatment as it was obviously worth much more financially.
About a week after the initial flooding the rain returned. It was Halloween night and my friends and I were dressed up and ready to take on the neighborhood. We had been preparing our costumes for months but before we could embark on our mission, large army trucks full of military personnel arrived in our neighborhood and went from house to house evacuating the residents and loading them onto their massive automobiles, the only kind that could drive through to gradually rising waters. My friends and I begged our parents to stay for a while and didn’t understand why they said no and packed bags with tear filled eyes. During the ride out of the neighborhood and into safety, the adults sat solemnly terrified of what was happening while the children traded the candy excited and unaware of the dangers the waters posed.
Now I am 16 and I flinch at the sound of thunder and cower when lightning strikes. I am well aware of the risk of flooded waters and understand that the world is not a safety blanket for our insecurities but instead the complete opposite. Oil puddles are no longer beautiful rainbows in a sea of gray streets but instead a constant reminder of the ignorance and irresponsibility the human race has for this earth. Snow storms and frozen roads are no longer free get out of school passes but a possibility for a fatal car crash and a broken family. Flooded streets are no longer playgrounds for me and my friends but a constant reminder of the innocence I have lost. The innocence I would give anything to get back.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our top 11 teen essays for our March writing contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed soon. We will then send a follow up post to inform you of the results.

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:11:16 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our runners up.

Be proud of your accomplishment! There were so many well crafted stories for March's contest.

Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:10:35 PM

We wanted to share our March 2015 Weather Stories "Teen Trend Report" with you. In this report, you will find survey results as well as themes that emerged from all the essays submitted.

Here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandtheWeather.aspx

Feel free to share the results with others, and as always, thanks so much for helping us with our mission to change the world, one story at a time.

- Rebecca Thiegs
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:40:15 PM