Weather: More than a Dreary Day

AvertAvarice
Rain … pattered against the world outside, yet I was safe indoors. Droplets fell without being seen, but the sound was heard; yes, only the sound. The falling water called in the cold; an air of chill hovered over the ground. Sitting, as the blue haze—that so often adorns these cool days—fell upon the earth, and upon my walls. Simply sitting in peace, these are the days I adore most; the days where the weather beckons hot teas and cocoa, the days where I can bundle up in many layers.

It is said that music creates the mood, but doesn’t the weather participate in that as well? For what is a sound without a scene? What is a scene without the weather? Weather is not always visible, but it changes the colors of the earth. Compared to the bright days filled with sunlight or the snowy, gray winters, my day was tinted blue; it was darkened by the clouds. It even played music. Nature has its own type of music and it’s always different. The sound of rain humming combined with the sporadic gusts of wind—it’s all rather peaceful. My scene was one drizzling day, my scene held the therapeutic sound of rain and wind, my scene set my mood for a relaxed tone. To do all that, isn’t weather rather amazing?

Alas, not every day can be as tranquil or serene, for on a different day—after about a week of the soothing rain—my reaction to the weather was quite different. It was a Wednesday, only half a day of school, and the alleged day of our school’s tennis match. You can imagine—not just mine—our team’s distraught over the rain. The match was cancelled. We can’t play tennis in the rain. That was not the only disappointment of the day, for the rain did not even provide the coolness it once did. No, it was hot. The once gentle hum of rain became an erratic mess of trickling dampness and heat. It did not incite a mood quite as positive as the one before. I had to go home with all the preparation for the match wasted.

The rain never lasts long here. It has its week or so and then vanishes for extended periods of time, causing mixed feelings for its short visits. The rain is needed and wanted, but never knows how long to stay or when to come. It’s a blissful occurrence, really. I simply wish it knew when to stop by and when it has overstayed its visit.