Weather: Is the rain really singing?

MicaelaPB
Mists, drizzles, pours, pounds; pitter-patter, cats and dogs, really comes down hard; soaking, dripping, sopping, drenched; how ‘bout that rain, Seattle?

As a resident of the Puget Sound area and true recipient of clear-skied pity, I endure consistent downpours of rain-related commentary. Most slip in a puddle of complaint, others go grey in step with the clouds. Limited few glorify the rain and, as the saying goes, they sing.

But when water droplets miraculously dive from the sky, and life’s disquiet falls likewise, we falter and pause and panic. Grab an umbrella, folks, buckets of blue are coming down on your heads! Whether it’s water or worry, a tad bit of stress, a wee bit of strain, we like to curse the storms that dominate the sky above and our lives below. And our cause – why we toss fault upon blameless forces – equates to blind self-justification.

If the rain didn’t flood the streets and drip off our noses, would it be an inconvenience? If puddles never gathered, would splashing be missed? Does the rain swipe the smiles from our cheeks, or is it actually us that like to frown? I hold hands with the latter.

Like the life-coaches and the skeptical, I trace the guidelines by which we weep. Small hindrances take us down with ease. We complain when that teacher wasn’t really so bad, we turn impatient after seconds of pause. We have great willingness to relate such things as the rain to unhappiness before it comes down, even before it ruins our hair and requests a water-repellant slicker. And all this unhappiness provides us nothing but a topic of conversation at a blue and grey dinner table.

I prefer to approach the stormy weather as it greets me – that is, with honesty. I could say that I have built a tolerance for the rain, living here with an extended dripping season. But tolerance might associate the rain with pain and bad cooking. How about the word perspective?

When water slides out of the sky, I absorb it like a sponge. Each raindrop can become a part of me, adding value to my experience with this world in its own sort of measly quantity. Puddles can be patchwork if clouds can bounce and cry. Traffic might be musical if homework likes to sing. My dog’s hole digging practice in the springtime grass could make some good stories later, after washing dirt from his once-white fur. By adapting my perspective, I can move with virtue to the rhythm of my laugh; pitter-patter, drizzle, pound, soaking-sopping-drenched.

So, how about that rain, Seattle?

And Seattle answers: It’s really not all that bad.