Weather: I Don't Do Small Talk

Quixotica
After a history test, our substitute teacher announced he would teach us a valuable life skill: small talk. “Rule of thumb: never discuss Religion, Money, or Politics,” he said. “I know it’s cliche, but talk about… weather.”
I raised my eyebrows. Talk about weather with Politics verboten? The words required for that kind of inanity aren’t welcome in my lexicon.
Because weather is Politics. Weather is Money. Weather is Religion. Weather is climate change, and climate change is Politics, or at least it has become so: another dead bill in Congressional committees, another buzzword slathered in denial and anemia, our glacial reaction while the glaciers melt.
But weather and climate change are not only Politics, for high-minded environmentalists or reelections that might be at stake. It is Religion, because isn’t God going to save us all before the oceans swallow us or the droughts fry us or the food shortages starve us? It is Money, because as long as Exxon’s name is on those underground oil deposits, you can bet those assets won’t be stranded. (We absolutely did go to Iraq to take away their WMDs--they’re called fossil fuels.)
But above all climate change is lives.
It is the lives of the Global South, as we say, and it is the value not ascribed to them. It is my friend Sakib in Bangladesh who cannot grow rice anymore because salt water encroaches on the formerly fertile land. (But Bangladesh is a little sister next to India, and she is the forgotten kind of little sister, the one who is left at the gas station and nobody notices.) It is my brother’s friend Samuel, climate refugee from Kiribati, because Kiribati is sinking and nobody cares. Three hundred thousand lives with nowhere to run, but Kiribati is not a tax haven or a tourist hotspot or a CEO’s homebase.
It is the people of Sao Paulo, who will run out of water by June. It is the people of California who will run out of water next year. Maybe the West will take notice then, when enough blonde-haired blue-eyed lives are at stake, too.
This is my small talk--you say weather, I say ruin. Watch the tides rise and the oceans pitch and writhe while you speak of the snow in New England and complain of the cold. Politics is cold, a heartless beast that watches fires of indifference ravage the world and hums away inside gated communities.
Climate change is all the names I will never know, all the names Politics will never care to learn, because climate change is still a hoax, still only a 99% scientific certainty (and no one ever cared what the 99% had to say, right?). It is all the lives deemed worthless, all the countries deemed collateral damage.
And I say--People live there. Someone’s mother, father, sister, brother, child. People live there.
If you want me to sew my lips and talk about the weather, I will bring you the storm.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our top 11 teen essays for our March writing contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed soon. We will then send a follow up post to inform you of the results.

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:08:52 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as our 1st place teen essay.

We will be contacting you by the end of the week via your registration email about prize details.

Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:05:39 PM

We wanted to share our March 2015 Weather Stories "Teen Trend Report" with you. In this report, you will find survey results as well as themes that emerged from all the essays submitted.

Here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandtheWeather.aspx

Feel free to share the results with others, and as always, thanks so much for helping us with our mission to change the world, one story at a time.

- Rebecca Thiegs
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:33:42 PM