STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weather: I Don't Do Small Talk

Quixotica
After a history test, our substitute teacher announced he would teach us a valuable life skill: small talk. “Rule of thumb: never discuss Religion, Money, or Politics,” he said. “I know it’s cliche, but talk about… weather.”
I raised my eyebrows. Talk about weather with Politics verboten? The words required for that kind of inanity aren’t welcome in my lexicon.
Because weather is Politics. Weather is Money. Weather is Religion. Weather is climate change, and climate change is Politics, or at least it has become so: another dead bill in Congressional committees, another buzzword slathered in denial and anemia, our glacial reaction while the glaciers melt.
But weather and climate change are not only Politics, for high-minded environmentalists or reelections that might be at stake. It is Religion, because isn’t God going to save us all before the oceans swallow us or the droughts fry us or the food shortages starve us? It is Money, because as long as Exxon’s name is on those underground oil deposits, you can bet those assets won’t be stranded. (We absolutely did go to Iraq to take away their WMDs--they’re called fossil fuels.)
But above all climate change is lives.
It is the lives of the Global South, as we say, and it is the value not ascribed to them. It is my friend Sakib in Bangladesh who cannot grow rice anymore because salt water encroaches on the formerly fertile land. (But Bangladesh is a little sister next to India, and she is the forgotten kind of little sister, the one who is left at the gas station and nobody notices.) It is my brother’s friend Samuel, climate refugee from Kiribati, because Kiribati is sinking and nobody cares. Three hundred thousand lives with nowhere to run, but Kiribati is not a tax haven or a tourist hotspot or a CEO’s homebase.
It is the people of Sao Paulo, who will run out of water by June. It is the people of California who will run out of water next year. Maybe the West will take notice then, when enough blonde-haired blue-eyed lives are at stake, too.
This is my small talk--you say weather, I say ruin. Watch the tides rise and the oceans pitch and writhe while you speak of the snow in New England and complain of the cold. Politics is cold, a heartless beast that watches fires of indifference ravage the world and hums away inside gated communities.
Climate change is all the names I will never know, all the names Politics will never care to learn, because climate change is still a hoax, still only a 99% scientific certainty (and no one ever cared what the 99% had to say, right?). It is all the lives deemed worthless, all the countries deemed collateral damage.
And I say--People live there. Someone’s mother, father, sister, brother, child. People live there.
If you want me to sew my lips and talk about the weather, I will bring you the storm.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our top 11 teen essays for our March writing contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed soon. We will then send a follow up post to inform you of the results.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:08:52 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as our 1st place teen essay.

We will be contacting you by the end of the week via your registration email about prize details.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:05:39 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

We wanted to share our March 2015 Weather Stories "Teen Trend Report" with you. In this report, you will find survey results as well as themes that emerged from all the essays submitted.

Here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandtheWeather.aspx

Feel free to share the results with others, and as always, thanks so much for helping us with our mission to change the world, one story at a time.

- Rebecca Thiegs
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:33:42 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy