Weather: The Storms We Create Are the Ones That Hurt Us the Most

[email protected]
About ten years ago, many Americans would remember the federal government’s botched response to Hurricane Katrina. No one could have foreseen the catastrophic outcome, and the outrage that would tear up a storm of its own in the media.

But my story begins before that, before the storm hit. At the time, my family lived in Texas. Upon hearing the worrying news about the imminent landfall in a few days secondhand from coworkers and friends, my parents simultaneously agreed that it would be much safer if we evacuated. And so, all five of us piled into our minivan and drove east…to Louisiana.

Real smart parents, huh?

The night after we arrived at my Aunt’s home, I woke up and snuck to the window to peer out. I only found out later that that was when the brunt of the storm passed overhead. I must have sat there for an hour mesmerized, amazed, and afraid.

The pounding rain turned the world outside the window into a grey fishbowl, like an ocean in the air which disappeared in a fraction of a second, only to be replaced immediately by another ocean, and another-a relentless cycle of the likes which I had never seen before. The strength and the might of the wind bent the trees so they leaned over horizontally. The forces of nature outside seemed unnatural and fairy tale-like, almost like the two-dimensional photographs in my textbooks.

It’s this style of thinking that could be deadly for us as a human race. The accumulation of greenhouse gases, the depletion of ozone in our stratosphere, all point to a human, accelerated version of global warming. Just because it isn't tangible doesn't mean that it can’t have disastrous effects.

And let’s not forget that this all came about because mankind decided they could change much of the environment and get away with it. Forget the butchered disaster response, the mishandling of deployment of resources to where they were needed too late…what about the marshes & ecosystems removed from coast of Louisiana to make room for developments? What about the higher water levels that made this happen? What about the levees that diverted the incoming water, which served to exacerbate the punishment another area received?
Make no mistake, we did this to ourselves. This pretense of controlling nature, should we continue it, will destroy us all.

A few days after the storm passed through Louisiana and moved on through other states, we piled back into our minivan and drove home amid reports of the mass exodus of people that were fleeing to Houston. But we didn't see anyone else in the darkness on the road.

Our headlights only illuminated the empty husks of vehicles that ran out of gas, an eerie reminder that nature controls the sole right to dictate her balance. If we continue testing her limits, we may very well find ourselves not included in a balance of her choosing. Welcome to the storm that we created.