Weather: A Small Reminder To Stay Happy

kalystas
Rain. Just a natural occurrence, yet somehow it inspires even the lowest of us to look up. Rain. Just water falling from the sky, yet somehow whether our eyes are open or not we can see it. Rain. One of the only things you can truly run from but never hide from. I was walking on the beach with my eyes blurred by grief, my tears dripping from my lashes and the drops landing on my head and back. Crying in the rain is one of those things that unless you experience it, you can't understand. It's not like it looks in the movies when the girl is crying for a lover to come back and the rain just makes it all the more dramatic and romantic. Crying in the rain seems to put into perspective just how small we really are. It's as if the world is laughing at you and making your tears seem useless and pitiful. Like the world is in your face saying “Look, I will always have more tears than you. There will always be something worse happening”. When you think about it the sky can, truly, cry a river and we will just sit on its banks and watch it flow with our tiny tears falling and dissolving into the ground like they never existed. How we can feel so mighty, while other things are so obviously greater than us, mystifies me. It was in that moment, as my crying mingled with that of the cloud's, that I realized how trivial my pains truly were. My mother always told me not to cry over spilt milk and here I was crying over a spilt heart. Ever since that day on the beach when I realized things far greater than my crush on him were at play, I have learned that there is only one true way to deal with grief. You must feel the pain, accept it, acknowledge that you've been hurt-but then, you must remember your happiness lies within yourself and this, too, shall pass. So smile, and put aside your tears, and maybe you'll already be looking up when the rains come.