Weather: Is it all that innocent?

S.Berehe
Weather is a subject of which we, as the human race, associate with our daily lives. When someone is feeling down, you might say they are ‘under a cloud’, whereas when they are happy, you might say they are ‘as bright as the Sun’. But what is the overall emotion caused by the weather? In, my opinion, the definition of weather is devastation. Weather has massively made an impact in everyone's daily life, and not only for the best. In a recent survey's results, it is shown that the majority of people find weather a positive thing. Have people simple forgotten all the horrifying tragedies that have occurred? In this essay, you will be reminded of all the terrible ways in which the weather has affected lives.

One of the many abhorrent, catastrophic and fatal situations caused by the weather was Hurricane Wilma. In October, 2005, Wilma caused nearly $30billion of damage, killing at least seventeen people. The hurricane caused excessive damage towards numerous places; Florida, Mexico, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Haiti, Cuba, the Caribbean and many more. Hurricane Wilma has been recorded as the largest tropical cyclone in the Atlantic Ocean... ever! The seventeen people’s lives have not been forgotten by their families; however, the rest of society has seemed to have just moved on with their lives. Weather is the cause of this injustice and something needs to be done about it: although weather is not always negative, the lives it takes cannot be given back and no amount of sunshine or snow can change that.

An alternate way that weather has ruined and ended lives is earthquakes. An example is the ‘Haiti Earthquake’. On the 12th of January, 2010, the country of Haiti, in North America, suffered from a major earthquake, killing over 160,000 people. Homes were torn apart, buildings crumbled and even after the eruption life hasn’t improved. Now, five years after the earthquake, Haiti is still suffering from the pain caused so long ago. The earthquake of Haiti was one of the most economically and socially damaging this world has seen and it is unknown whether this country will ever recover from this destructive disaster.

From these occurrences and many more, it is clear that the weather has affected countless lives for the worst and if action is not taken, nothing will improve. Make a change- if you do not, why should anyone else?