Weather: Superstorm Sandy

racleiner

Living in the New York Metropolitan area, I don’t expect many traumatic natural events. Our weather is typically uneventful; the occasional snow, scattered rain storms, and, on a good day, beautiful sunshine. Most residents aren’t in constant preparation for a natural disaster. Yet unbeknownst to us, October of 2012 would bring the largest Atlantic hurricane on record. Superstorm Sandy produced over 68 billion dollars in damages which continue to affect cities down the coast today.
Located directly beside the water, my local community endured devastating marring. My family and many others were forced out of our houses for two or more weeks, seeking shelter from our electricity deprived and trodden down homes.
When I visited home for the first time after the storm passed, I couldn’t believe my eyes. Boats parked on peoples’ lawns, telephone poles branching through the streets, hundred-year old fallen trees merely piercing through houses— the damage was unimaginable. I particularly remember driving to my best friends house to make sure everything was okay. Unfortunately, it wasn’t. An enormous tree had ripped up from the ground and cracked her driveway in half, missing the house by a hair. The basement and first floor were completely flooded. And her backyard trampoline had completely diminished. I didn't know how to break the news to her– never had I witnessed such a distastrous circumstance.
My friend and her family, along with thousands of other families across the Atlantic Coast, will never forget the damage Hurricane Sandy caused in their lives. Yes, living in the New York Metropolitan area definitely has its climatic benefits– seasonal weather including cozy winters, colorful springs, heated summers, and rustic autumns. However, on the downside we must always be aware; you may never know when natural disaster will strike.