STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weather: A Hike Through the Clouds

AllisonArne22
I woke up early on the day I had been waiting for; the day I would stand on top of the one and only Mount Vesuvius. I looked out the window sadly to see a gross cloudy sky. I hopped on the packed bus that was headed for the mountain. Well, headed for the volcano. The bus reached the foot of the volcano and started inching up the giant mound of boiling lava under miles of solid ground. As the bus moved higher, the houses and ruins of Pompeii disappeared underneath the ominous foggy clouds. The bus rolled to a stop. The rest of the climb would continue on foot. It was time for me and the others to get off the warm bus into the cold to hike to the top in the gray wall of cloud. I threw on my jacket and hurried off the bus. The group from the bus and I began to hike up the brown gravel path towards a shop that was near the crater of the volcano. The cold day’s weather wasn’t enough to keep me from sweating and panting as I hiked the steep incline. The clouds felt sticky and suffocating against my sweating skin. I reached the shop and stopped to look at the scenery. I looked up, down, left, and right, but disappointment hit me. I got gravel stuck in my shoes and sweat on my skin from the steep slopes just to see the scenery but it was hidden. I stared into a dense wall of clouds. I knew because of the constantly changing weather in Italy that poor visibility was possible, but I had hoped to be free of clouds as I climbed, but they were thicker than a wool blanket. A grey-white abyss laid before me.
The leaders of the group discussed with the guides about cloud visibility. They gave me two choices: climb to the top and risk not see anything or end my hike by climbing back down the volcano. I risked it and keep climbing. I followed the guide off the path and straight up the side of the crater. We got to the rim of the crater and looked around. The view took away everyone’s breath. Inside the crater floated wisps of clouds against the red and black swirled background of the crater floor. The view looking out from the crater was as if the clouds were showing me their hidden secret, opening just enough to see part of the city or the ocean and then closing up again. We kept climbing, until we reached the highest point of the crater rim, the summit. I sat down and watched the clouds shift and change. I watched the land appear and disappear. Relaxation and beauty filled my whole body. I made my way around the breathtaking crater enjoying the view with every step. I walked back down the mountain towards the bus. My heavenly walk through the clouds had come to an end.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our top 11 teen essays for our March writing contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed soon. We will then send a follow up post to inform you of the results.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:10:53 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our runners up.

Be proud of your accomplishment! There were so many well crafted stories for March's contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:10:21 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy