Weather: A Hike Through the Clouds

AllisonArne22
I woke up early on the day I had been waiting for; the day I would stand on top of the one and only Mount Vesuvius. I looked out the window sadly to see a gross cloudy sky. I hopped on the packed bus that was headed for the mountain. Well, headed for the volcano. The bus reached the foot of the volcano and started inching up the giant mound of boiling lava under miles of solid ground. As the bus moved higher, the houses and ruins of Pompeii disappeared underneath the ominous foggy clouds. The bus rolled to a stop. The rest of the climb would continue on foot. It was time for me and the others to get off the warm bus into the cold to hike to the top in the gray wall of cloud. I threw on my jacket and hurried off the bus. The group from the bus and I began to hike up the brown gravel path towards a shop that was near the crater of the volcano. The cold day’s weather wasn’t enough to keep me from sweating and panting as I hiked the steep incline. The clouds felt sticky and suffocating against my sweating skin. I reached the shop and stopped to look at the scenery. I looked up, down, left, and right, but disappointment hit me. I got gravel stuck in my shoes and sweat on my skin from the steep slopes just to see the scenery but it was hidden. I stared into a dense wall of clouds. I knew because of the constantly changing weather in Italy that poor visibility was possible, but I had hoped to be free of clouds as I climbed, but they were thicker than a wool blanket. A grey-white abyss laid before me.
The leaders of the group discussed with the guides about cloud visibility. They gave me two choices: climb to the top and risk not see anything or end my hike by climbing back down the volcano. I risked it and keep climbing. I followed the guide off the path and straight up the side of the crater. We got to the rim of the crater and looked around. The view took away everyone’s breath. Inside the crater floated wisps of clouds against the red and black swirled background of the crater floor. The view looking out from the crater was as if the clouds were showing me their hidden secret, opening just enough to see part of the city or the ocean and then closing up again. We kept climbing, until we reached the highest point of the crater rim, the summit. I sat down and watched the clouds shift and change. I watched the land appear and disappear. Relaxation and beauty filled my whole body. I made my way around the breathtaking crater enjoying the view with every step. I walked back down the mountain towards the bus. My heavenly walk through the clouds had come to an end.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our top 11 teen essays for our March writing contest.

To view all the results of our March 2015 contest, please check our winners page on or after April 30th:

Our editors are voting on the winners and we will have our results completed soon. We will then send a follow up post to inform you of the results.

Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:10:53 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Weather Story being selected as one of our runners up.

Be proud of your accomplishment! There were so many well crafted stories for March's contest.

Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:10:21 PM