Weather: Magnifies and drives

Jeneen
I’m not usually the most expressive person. People would constantly tell me to infuse more emotion into my voice when speaking or be less stiff when walking. Although their comments are understandable, it shows a much upheld and very artificial expectation: all people should act a specific way in a given situation.

Within everyone is a well of emotions as changeable as weather. Things happen and people are affected by them. Like how the weather is different everywhere around the world, emotions vary in different people. No one person thinks exactly the same way, hence the disagreements that arise. But with these conflicts comes knowledge about the other, if not an understanding of sorts.
In life, people face a lot of things: people, school, careers, fears and ultimately weather. When I ended up facing weather one day, I had the urge to fight it, despite the futility of the outcome.

It was a cloudy evening, overcast. My friend, Fung and I were setting up a campfire. The wood was damp, and we had ten matches, a lighter. Positioning the twigs properly, with bits of paper and wood, I struck a match, letting it burn for a moment before dropping it onto the paper. Immediately, Fung cupped his hand around the fire, sheltering it. Staring at the droplet of flame, we both hoped that the twigs would catch as it flared bright. Then as it died as the wind started up. I could feel it building up and blowing at me as we struck another match, and another. Our hands became blistered, as match after match and even the lighter failed us. Desperation hung in the air between us, building with the whitening sky and relentless wind.

Finally, just as big fat drops of rain fell, it caught. As the rain became sleet, and the wind howled angrily, to our utter amazement, a large tent flies across our vision. Our eyes widen alarmingly and we destroy our fire, almost as an afterthought, as we ran for the tent, yelling for help.

It takes hours before everything is secured down. By then, the weather has taken a turn for the worse. Hail falls like rapid-fire. Fung, I and other older campers are inside the shelters, playing games to entertain and keep the minds of the younger campers off the weather. There is an edge to our voices as we talk to them, wavering between calm and hysteria.

In a mere 3 hours, the weather had changed me from hopeful to desperation and ultimately to fear. The weather had just effectively proved that I was just as emotional as the next person; albeit, in more extreme situations. That weekend, weather was the force that I fought to overcome, but ultimately lost to. It controlled my moods, drove my emotions and magnified them to the point that I knew without a doubt that I was at its mercy. Such is the power of weather.