STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weather: Magnifies and drives

Jeneen
I’m not usually the most expressive person. People would constantly tell me to infuse more emotion into my voice when speaking or be less stiff when walking. Although their comments are understandable, it shows a much upheld and very artificial expectation: all people should act a specific way in a given situation.

Within everyone is a well of emotions as changeable as weather. Things happen and people are affected by them. Like how the weather is different everywhere around the world, emotions vary in different people. No one person thinks exactly the same way, hence the disagreements that arise. But with these conflicts comes knowledge about the other, if not an understanding of sorts.
In life, people face a lot of things: people, school, careers, fears and ultimately weather. When I ended up facing weather one day, I had the urge to fight it, despite the futility of the outcome.

It was a cloudy evening, overcast. My friend, Fung and I were setting up a campfire. The wood was damp, and we had ten matches, a lighter. Positioning the twigs properly, with bits of paper and wood, I struck a match, letting it burn for a moment before dropping it onto the paper. Immediately, Fung cupped his hand around the fire, sheltering it. Staring at the droplet of flame, we both hoped that the twigs would catch as it flared bright. Then as it died as the wind started up. I could feel it building up and blowing at me as we struck another match, and another. Our hands became blistered, as match after match and even the lighter failed us. Desperation hung in the air between us, building with the whitening sky and relentless wind.

Finally, just as big fat drops of rain fell, it caught. As the rain became sleet, and the wind howled angrily, to our utter amazement, a large tent flies across our vision. Our eyes widen alarmingly and we destroy our fire, almost as an afterthought, as we ran for the tent, yelling for help.

It takes hours before everything is secured down. By then, the weather has taken a turn for the worse. Hail falls like rapid-fire. Fung, I and other older campers are inside the shelters, playing games to entertain and keep the minds of the younger campers off the weather. There is an edge to our voices as we talk to them, wavering between calm and hysteria.

In a mere 3 hours, the weather had changed me from hopeful to desperation and ultimately to fear. The weather had just effectively proved that I was just as emotional as the next person; albeit, in more extreme situations. That weekend, weather was the force that I fought to overcome, but ultimately lost to. It controlled my moods, drove my emotions and magnified them to the point that I knew without a doubt that I was at its mercy. Such is the power of weather.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy