STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Weather: Sunny Smiles and Rainy Tears

julcasella
Lying on the grass in my backyard on a pleasant summer day, looking up at the clouds drifting by, I decided that my mood controlled the weather. It only made sense; when I was happy, the sky was nice and clear, when I was sad, the sky was dark and gloomy. What else could it be?
As a small naïve eight year old, the thought never crossed my mind that perhaps this weather-mood relationship was really reversed. It doesn’t really make much sense, but could the weather in fact impact my mood? I think so. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but there is definitely a trend. On sunny days, I tend to be happier, and on rainy days, there is a negative cloud over me. Why does this happen? Does this mood shift only occur for me, or do many feel the same?
Even though everyone has their own opinion on the weather, there are generally feelings that society pushes onto everyone about the climate – cold and dark days are negative days, and bright and sunny days are happy. The words themselves can illustrate this perfectly; words that are used to describe rainy and cold days (dark, gloomy, and dim) all have negative connotations, while as words that describe a sunny day (light, pleasant, and radiant) all have positive connotations. Words have meanings - and these meanings don’t just come from anywhere. Obviously, tons of people had to have felt the same way as me towards the weather, or else our language would not reflect my feelings almost perfectly.
This still doesn’t answer the question of how and why this happens… or does it? In fact, it just might be the answer exactly; since there are these connotations that exist based of the weather that are so engrained into our society that the words we use to describe them can almost literally be defined as good or bad, perhaps it is just a matter of suggestion. It makes sense. After all, the power of suggestion can go a long way, as can be seen from the countless advertisements and political debates all trying to get you to feel the same way about an idea or product. Could it be that simple? It isn’t like there is some type of chemical that the rain releases that seeps into our body and makes us in a negative mood, nor is there a magical happy dosage in living in a sunny environment - at least not that they know of in this day and age. It only makes sense that it is just a simple suggestion that almost forces us to feel this way.
If this is true, then maybe this is actually valuable information. On the days when the teardrops are falling not just from the sky, but down your cheek as well, it may be best to remember that in not too long the storm will pass, and with it sunny, warm smiles.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy