Weather: Sunny Smiles and Rainy Tears

julcasella
Lying on the grass in my backyard on a pleasant summer day, looking up at the clouds drifting by, I decided that my mood controlled the weather. It only made sense; when I was happy, the sky was nice and clear, when I was sad, the sky was dark and gloomy. What else could it be?
As a small naïve eight year old, the thought never crossed my mind that perhaps this weather-mood relationship was really reversed. It doesn’t really make much sense, but could the weather in fact impact my mood? I think so. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but there is definitely a trend. On sunny days, I tend to be happier, and on rainy days, there is a negative cloud over me. Why does this happen? Does this mood shift only occur for me, or do many feel the same?
Even though everyone has their own opinion on the weather, there are generally feelings that society pushes onto everyone about the climate – cold and dark days are negative days, and bright and sunny days are happy. The words themselves can illustrate this perfectly; words that are used to describe rainy and cold days (dark, gloomy, and dim) all have negative connotations, while as words that describe a sunny day (light, pleasant, and radiant) all have positive connotations. Words have meanings - and these meanings don’t just come from anywhere. Obviously, tons of people had to have felt the same way as me towards the weather, or else our language would not reflect my feelings almost perfectly.
This still doesn’t answer the question of how and why this happens… or does it? In fact, it just might be the answer exactly; since there are these connotations that exist based of the weather that are so engrained into our society that the words we use to describe them can almost literally be defined as good or bad, perhaps it is just a matter of suggestion. It makes sense. After all, the power of suggestion can go a long way, as can be seen from the countless advertisements and political debates all trying to get you to feel the same way about an idea or product. Could it be that simple? It isn’t like there is some type of chemical that the rain releases that seeps into our body and makes us in a negative mood, nor is there a magical happy dosage in living in a sunny environment - at least not that they know of in this day and age. It only makes sense that it is just a simple suggestion that almost forces us to feel this way.
If this is true, then maybe this is actually valuable information. On the days when the teardrops are falling not just from the sky, but down your cheek as well, it may be best to remember that in not too long the storm will pass, and with it sunny, warm smiles.