Weather: A boiling hot, frosty cold kind of Autumn day (aka swautumn)

xx.monica
The weather, though given it's seasons, can be unpredictable. How should I know? Because I've experienced a boiling hot, frosty cold kind of Autumn day, better known as swautumn.

I live in the great city of Melbourne. Notable or infamous for our ever changing weather is still up for debate. Of course experiencing all multiple seasons in one day has it's perks, however, one day, by the reckless abandonment of luck, summer and winter decided to crash our autumn day.

My family and I decided to head up to 1000 steps. We planned to take on the Kokoda track in loving memory of our soldiers. It was an extremely hot morning, although extremely is not quite extreme enough. Imagine preheating your oven on 200 degrees for an hour and deciding to jump inside - that's how it felt. Luckily, we came prepared. My mother, father, brother and I removed our jackets and changed into a singlet and shorts. Thus we began our journey.

Proud and of course drained, we made it to the end. The end of summer that is... Before we knew it, winter had crept in. Wind began to gush, a cool breeze whipping our hair back - but this I could not complain - and a sudden drop of temperature. We started our journey back and that's when rain decided to join us. The tracks became slippery and muddy. I'd be lying if I said I didn't slip at least five times.

We finally got home not only champions but mud-monsters. Even our dogs didn't recognize us. But then again, they had been playing in the backyard too during the rain. I couldn't tell their faces from their rear ends. After a long and painfully harsh scrubbing shower, we returned welcomed by autumn.