Weather: Should We Be Worried?

Aharipriyan
The entire city is burning. The whole skies are jet black and people are evacuating, traveling through the traffic of frantic fire engines. We pick up a few pictures, a few documents, bid farewell to the house, and we head northbound.
It was the 2007 fire of San Diego.
We always knew we lived in a desert, but never realized it till it didn’t rain 2 years in a row. California has been in severe drought for four years. We don’t have much greenery, and the little we have, in the canyons’ open spaces, is bone dry. At the peak of summer, humidity is very low when the desert’s Santa Ana winds start blowing. This is the perfect condition for the brush to catch fire.
Twice since 2007, the city has been ablaze, destroying acres of land, leaving many homeless. We have driven by some neighborhoods where all the house are charred but one! The embers flying in the winds get carried across miles to land on that one unlucky house.
These weather patterns of complete dryness have changed the way we shape our lives even now. The city is mandating restrictions on water use. Homeowners are thinking of artificial lawns and gray water. The heat was affecting us physically as well. The dryness catches in your throats, making it hard to swallow.
I lived in Seattle and moved to San Diego (a complete contrast from the gray skies of the city of rain), I never thought I’d miss the constant downpour and the ever-present clouds…but I do.
Here, multiple seasons are practically a foreign concept. Summers and winters feel the same, and while the sun is cheerful and all, when it gets horribly dry, it dehydrates even the most optimistic person.
After living in San Diego, I’ve become much more appreciative of the rare drops of rain each year. It’s ironic that as we attempt to cut back on our water usage, the east coast is getting record-breaking snowstorms. This imbalance…is it global warming? This has been debated for quite a while now. We are starting to see drastically changing weather patterns. Isn’t it time to start doing something about global warming?
When people are out of conversation ideas for starters, weather is talked about. Isn’t it time to do a bit more than that?