Weather: An Infalliable Temperament

jcorl1224
The pounding started as a slow, quiet grumble, gradually rising into a triumphant roar as I stared out the window. It's inconsistency was one I had come to recognize as that of rain drops. It was comforting, though somewhat annoying as I stared out the window, trying to concentrate on the moving shapes beside the tree. They were blurry now, muddled by the distant pounding in my head. But as I looked closer I realized the shapes were not actually moving, but swaying back and forth with each gust of wind. It was a cat, or rather his tail that had caught my eye. With that I turned my attention back indoors, to the comfort and warmth of my house. I tried to focus on something different, something clearer, but the objects inside were just as disfigured. Inadvertently, I stood up, too quickly for myself, but too slowly for the rain. It's pounding never missed a beat, but I was forced to stop. My feet stood still, though my body swayed gently with the draft as I waited for my vision to come back. I kept my eyes closed for a second longer and then sat back down in anticipation of my cousins response.
“Come on Mallory, I want to go.”
“I don't want to,” I yelled back, “I'm too tired... and sore... and my head hurts too.”
“Mallory, calm down. It's just a headache. Your fine.”
“I don't think so,” I mumbled in response, but everyone was in the car already and my comment fell on deaf ears. I stood up again, this time focusing on my feet as I made my way to the door. The rain was still pounding at an erratic pace, forcing me to comply with it's godly will. I ran from the house to the open car door, jumping inside and slamming the door as another gust of wind passed by.
“Okay,” I said, “I'm ready.”
“It's about time,” my cousin grumbled.
I continued the trip in silence, staring out the window and watching other cars pass by. The rain was beginning to let up, but the air was heavy with fog.
“We are not even going to be able to go,” I said as we got out of the car, “It's still raining too hard.”
“It's fine,” my cousin said, “the weather channel said the rain would stop at one.”
“Okay,” I said.
“Look, they are taking people out now.”
We walked over to the edge of the lake and waited for our turn to go. The line faded slowly until it was just my cousin and I left. We fastened our safety vests on and climbed into a kayak.
“Make sure you turn around by three,” the instructor said as we began to paddle away.
The sky was finally clear, a tranquil peace had taken over. We were looking towards the bank now, drifting towards the rainbow.