Weather: A Matter of Time

gretwade
It’s a summer evening and the dark clouds roll in. There is lightning in the far distance and sounds of rumbling from far away. Maybe there is a rush to get inside or maybe there is a rush to get to the porch. Then there is little squirts of water coming from the sky. Kids cry and adults stare in wonder. Someone is constantly checking the news to figure out if there are warnings of trouble. Others driving home slow down to keep their wheels on the road. The storm progresses. No high wind warnings. Just a summer thunderstorm.
When I was little I was always very scared of storms. I would have nightmares about tornados and scream when it thundered. When ever there was a thunderstorm, I would cover my whole head with a pillow and cry myself to sleep. One time my family and I were at the beach. It was the first time going without my dad. There was a tropical storm. The house shook and it rained the entire week. Night and day it rained. It was scary. The storm and not having my dad there with us. The storm was inside of me and all around the outside of me, but my family gathered around and had Go Fish tournaments and ate lots of Chinese food. We had to wait for the storm to pass.
I was scared. Now I see those dark clouds and smell the rain and something inside of me feels good. The world falls apart for a second. Even mother nature can’t hold it together. So I sit and watch. Watch as limbs fall and leaves blow everywhere. No fear. There is just trust that the storm will last as long as it needs to and the sun will come back out to dry up the puddles. We need that hope.
Being little can make anything scary. Not knowing what will happen. Loud noises that you aren’t exposed to or light flashing up the sky in the middle of the night. As long as these storms never really take anything away, the storms bring with them hope. Not fear, but hope. Hope that can only be found in something that was terrifying and now is just a matter of experience. A matter of hope. A matter of time.
As the clouds roll away and the thunder moves on to another town we realize that the storm is a constant. There are always storms. It’s how we deal with them or how we have dealt with them that makes our experience in the storm. When the storm passes all we have to do is move on. Continue on with what we were doing before the storm started. Its only a matter of time before another storm begins. Shaking our world and leaving us feeling like we need that pillow. We don’t.