Weather: A Nice Surprise

l.aurenpiro
For a teenage girl who blossoms in brisk, showery weather, the Central Valley is not for me. Specifically with a California record drought taking place. It’s always been fairly dry in the Valley, less rain each year; this last year being horrendous. It’s a struggle trying to be “the best me I can be” when its warm and unclouded outside eleven months out of the year. Even though, there are a few, scarce afternoons when Mother Nature favors me and gifts me with the dim and wispy weather I find comfort in. Some may say gray skies make them depressed, but I couldn’t be happier. Particularly when its raining cats and dogs. I’ve only seen a few of these days, but they are enough to get me through the year.
This past winter didn’t even feel like winter for California, but I must have been at the top of Santa’s Nice List because I got to experience not only one, but two days filled with hail. The last time I had seen hail was years ago, and I couldn’t be more thrilled. It took me a moment to realize it was hailing; I opened my blinds thinking the sprinklers were on. The second I saw the small chunks of ice landing into the pool and ricocheting off the ground I immediately jumped out of my chair and ran outside. I ran in the hail for what felt like hours, not once feeling out of breathe. Lifting my hands in the sky and smelling the fresh smell of flowers and rain and wind made me feel so alive and joyous. I could have danced all evening with the hail melting through my sweatshirt and chilling my skin. I had never felt so comfortable with myself before that day, and why the hail made me feel so alive, I don’t know. I do know, however, that I got to experience that same phenomenon again the next day, and I didn’t even try to hold myself back.