Weather: Thriving in the desert

Ashleyconklinwriting
Weather controls our everyday lives more than we even realize a lot of times. We don't have to experience a weather catastrophe to notice it. When we wake up in the morning and look out the window to see a pale gray, almost lifeless looking sky, our mood is probably not going to be a happy, ready-to-go-conquer-the-world type attitude.

A lot of people think that if only they could move, if only they could escape to some exotic paradise they would be totally content with their lives. For me, a girl raised in the desert of Arizona, I felt as if moving to someplace that had lots of grass, trees, mountians, and snow would really make me happy, my whole family thought it would. So after my dad found a job and we had said goodbye to our relatives and all the friends I had in the world, We boarded the plane that would take us to our new home in Washington. Where we would leave the endless days of sunshine and replace it for cold and rain.

In summer everything seemed great. We visited the ocean, walked nearly everywhere, enjoyed the thrill of the outdoors, and I was happy. The warmth and brightness of summer just really had a way of making you glad to be alive. Then, one day the sun sank into the gloom, the rain started, and winter had taken possession of the world.

Winter was long, wet, and hard. It made me a little depressed and lonely because I had no friends and knew I would be spending the holiday season alone and in a strange new place. Slowly, the winter passed, the sun began to return, and with it, so did some of my joy!

Altho the weather can play a big part in the way we feel in our everyday lives, I also believe that having a positive outlook on life can put a smile on your face and help you get through even the toughest seasons- weather and life.

As for me, I will always miss that place I left where the sun shines endlessly and summer never ends, but I'm starting to like it just where I am too!