Weather: Not so Sunny or 75

haleymarie856
Weather. Rather it be used as a basic conversation starter or as a daily forecast, that one simple word can have such a huge impact on not only our lives but also our moods. Picture this; hot cocoa in your hand, smile on your face as you’re snuggled up in your warmest P.J’s and curled up in your softest blanket on the sofa, relaxing on your day off, after winning the snowball fight you’ve just finished with your little brother and big sister…sounds like a pretty fantastic, laid-back kind of day, right?

Over the time span of two months, February and March, students, teachers, and parents got many days off due to the catastrophic snowfalls in Union county, KY. In some areas, snowfalls totaled up to a foot and snowdrifts totaled up to two feet, in others! Although students were ecstatic to miss 10 whole days of schools to allow for extra study time before mid-terms, road crews weren’t too pleased to be working in all hours of the night trying to make roadways safe for travel in our small rural community with numerous backroads.

Temperatures started to rise, rain began to fall, and snow began to melt. With the winter storm coming to an end, spring fever began to fill the hearts of all Union County residents. With most towns in the county bordering the Ohio River, the excitement didn’t last long, nor did the sight of green grass or clear roadways. Combined with the slush from melted snow and increased precipitation, ditches began to fill and roads began to close. Currently, flood watches are still in effect; Flood stage is 35 feet and water level is at 49 feet and continuously rising.

Yards are filled with mud, creeks have risen up to the bridges, rain boots are on mostly everyone’s feet, and bow fishing and catfishing is on every country boy’s and girl’s mind. The water due to loads of rain has allowed for fisherman to get a head start this spring, but on the contrary, other UC residents are left unhappy. Just as icy travel conditions are gone and roads are clear, the excess rainfall calls for hazardous traveling conditions, once again. Instead of taking the usual backroad to get to the particular destination faster and enjoy the wildflowers, drivers are forced to take the long way around by driving the highways. Due to the numerous “ROAD CLOSED” and “HIGH WATER” signs across the county, residents must wake up earlier and allow for extra travel time and we all know less sleep means grumpy attitude!

For a while, weather storms can be a nice change in pace, allowing a break from school or work, but after a while, the vigorous conditions cause distress and tiredness. Hopefully the Ohio River will crest soon, roadways will back to normal, and spirits will rise again in Union County, KY!