I'm Thankful for The Memories

lalalakrista13
I am grateful for the memories. Even though my best friend, Elizabeth, is no longer with us here, I reminisce of the adventures, our extreme escapades, and laughter. She taught me to water ski, and I revel in this, knowing she is always with me when I’m out on the water.

I sat in the cool water with my legs floating tautly, strapped in fiberglass binding my fate. My pulse crept up on me, thrashing in my head, a pendulum of anticipation, a countdown till my take off. I shut my eyes, and smelled the potent diesel, the algae scattering the lake, and the Chinkapin oaks that rimmed the heart of town. I imagined, seeing my wake through the glass, wrecking the marble perfection. As I left my fate to a thin twist of polypropylene fibers, I clutched their edge.

The wind blew my bangs, and while shutting my eyes, I beamed out in the morning light. I set my eyes free and gazed over the dark lake, my second family, and my second home.

“Hit it!” I yelled across the rope.

The water led me, and drew apart, offering power: Moses over the Arabian Peninsula.

I skimmed Spring Lake, and roared across the boat’s garrulous waves. Jobee led the way, his slick purple tip slicing through the lustrous water.

Larry smiled as I smiled, Elizabeth screamed as I flew, Anne put her hips out, mouthing ‘proud warrior’ like a true water-skier, and Sandy barked, cheering me on. And I beamed, laughed, and soaked up the high. It was harmony, reflecting the Midwest town.

I unleashed my right hand and stiffly brought it up to my forehead, elbow to the side. With a strong salute, I let the rope go, falling slowly down to the depths of my lagoon. I laughed out into the air, listening to my happy voice echo across Spring Lake.